"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, August 22, 2014

Vacation Manifestations and Revelations...

Happy Friday, folks!
It's good to be back on the Blog scene, and to reconnect.
A special "thanks" today to all my regular readers for returning.
And a "shout-out" to my new followers as well; I'm so happy to have you join us.
Please feel free to introduce yourself, or to respond to the "conversations" that are on-going, by way of comments.

Now, on with the message of the day...

Like most Blog breaks, no matter how I try to "chill" and vow to take time to smell the proverbial roses, I find myself immersed in some kind of creative endeavor.
Hey, what can I say? It's a work related hazard.

So even though I spent less time comparatively at the computer while I was "away" this time, I did do a bit of writing and surfing the Net for submission opportunities.

Anyway, without boring you with all the details, here's a quick
run-down to catch up on the month's events.

  •  I decided to submit a "success story" to Writer's Weekly. And it sold! Which was great. And here's another bonus: it pays on "acceptance" as opposed to upon publication. $40.00 for approx. 300 to 400 words. Perhaps you have a story to share that would inspire others as well? For more details, check it out here:  http://writersweekly.com

  • I rejoined Twitter! Let me keep it real here. I'm not a big fan of social media. Still, I recognize that it is a useful tool to help build platforms and relationships; if it's used wisely.  "All things in moderation." Which is why I have opted to "engage" with just 2 or 3 forums at the max. If you'd like to "follow" me, my Twitter Getter is @Penprosper1. The plan is to share useful links, contests, and insider's tips that you may not find here at the Pen and Prosper site. Get in where you fit in. Hope to see you there.

  •  I was pleasantly surprised by an unexpected email. I've always maintained that you don't have to have a big Blog "following" to have a big impact on your readers. Sometimes it's not how many people are reading your stuff, but "whom" that matters. This previously mentioned email underscores this point. It was a Sunday, and I was going through my inbox, when I noticed a subject line that read: "Pen and Prosper Guest Post by Acclaimed Author." I was immediately intrigued, and hurried to click on to find out more.

 You won't believe what happened next. It turns out that the email came from a representative of Warren Adler. Anybody out there remember the huge hit, "The War of the Roses?" Sure you do, it was with Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito. Anyway, it seems that the author of the novel reads my Blog and wanted to know if I would be receptive to a guest post. Are you kidding? That would be like Keanu Reeves wondering if I'd like to go out on a date. Uh, heck yes! Well, first I was elated. Then I got frustrated...convinced that this was one of those Internet scams, like the ones widely circulated. You know: the ones that tell you you've won the Nigerian Lottery, or have a huge inheritance left by a distant relative. So not wanting to be taken in, I did my homework. I searched online through Snopes. Nothing listed there. Then I decided to call the phone number provided with the email. I spoke to a nice guy named Steven. It turns out it's legit. Yay! So, his people contacted my people, (you know how we do it in show biz). :-) And I'm delighted to report that I will be publishing an entertaining and informative interview that we conducted, in days to follow. So stay tuned...
That's the 4-1-1- for now.
Have a Fab Friday!

Thoughts?







6 comments:

  1. I just wore a hole in the seat of my pants from doing the victory dance for you. That is a biggie. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM

      Thanks, Lin. Your support means much. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a very productive break! So happy for you. Looking forward to the guest post as well as your regular posts now that you are back. :)

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM

      Glad to hear from you and reconnect. Thanks, Karen.

      Delete
  3. Jen, Congrats on taking a break from blogging in order to give the world more of your wonderful self! We who read your blog applaud you. Now we all gear up for Fall and the upcoming holidays. Let us know when your interview comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 28, 2014 at 5:31 AM

      Aww...I am feel in' the love, Sue. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete