Saturday, September 25, 2010
10 Things That Make Me Happy!
Okay, so why am I devoting a blog post on happiness on a site dedicated to writing pursuits and rituals?
First of all, because there is a correlation--at least for me.
Secondly, because I just happened to be surfing the Net and found out that Pen and Prosper and yours truly have been honored with another distinction/award! YAY!
Evelyn at Evelynparham.com, has listed my site as one of the 10 Blogs that makes her happy! Thereby granting me the Happy 101 Award.
Thanks! Glad to be a recognized source of satisfaction. :-)
To quote a popular song, "everything I do, I do it for you."
Anyhow, as I was saying...
As it turns out, she received the Happiness Award from Blessed Mama.
And as a part of the process, recipients are to name 10 Things That Make Them Happy.
So, here it goes. Though it varies from day to day, and sometimes I have more than 10 things that make me happy, thank God. These are not necessarily in order.
...10 Things that make my heart sing!
1. Simple pleasures during difficult times. Things like herbal tea, bubble baths, a good read, music, and looking out the window at my backyard and the beauty and divinity of nature.
2. The Blessing of still having my mom with me. She calls me just about every morning in the wee hours, and we talk longer than I'd like to sometimes. :-) Still, there's nothing that can replace it. Nothing. She's my biggest fan, and sometimes the biggest pain. :-) But I owe the woman I am today largely to her. Thanks, mom!
3. A spiritual foundation--To each his own. But during these frantic and sometimes fearful times, I'm glad I know who to look to for comfort, peace and needed answers.
4. Good food. What can I say? I've never been a gal to count calories,(though thankfully I'm not overweight). I'm passionate about cooking and consuming good food and sharing it with friends.
5. My Family--They keep me grounded and connected.
6. The love of a good man. Hey, a sistah's gotta' keep it real! :-)
7. My home--I thank God for every inch--from the basement to the back yard. It's truly my sanctuary.
8. A strong sense of who I am, and what I'm about---even in the face of haters, naysayers, doubters and gossips.
9. The Writer's life---Which gives me YOU my followers, work that I love, and that I feel makes a difference, and entrepreneurial pleasures.
10. My friends. Many I've known for more than a decade, some since high school. In the words of Emily Dickinson, "they are among my greatest assets and my estate".
And, of course my laptop...what did I do before it? ;-)
Stay tuned for part 2 of this post, where I identify 10 Blogs that make me happy.
In the meantime and in between time...what makes you happy? Do tell...
Image Credit: Salvatore Vuono