"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Blog "Break up" Series * Writers Reveal All!


Have you ever thought of giving your blog the "boot"?


Does your "relationship" with your readers sometimes leave you a little uncertain? Feeling overwhelmed and undervalued?
Have you "lost that lovin' feelin'?"

It happens to the best of us. Some days it's a blessing; other times it's a burden.
This blogging thing can cause more internal conflict than the characters we read about in romance novels. And there's no disputing it's a "labor of love" that we devote endless hours of time, energy and attention. Which sometimes causes us to question whether it's worth all the sweat equity.
It's also the reason why countless bloggers have decided to "divorce" their blogs for other more profitable pursuits.
Perhaps you're one of them.

Disenchantment doesn't necessarily have to signal doom. It all depends on how you handle it. Whether you've been considering a blog break or a complete break-up, other writers will share their experiences here to give you greater perspective, clarity and wisdom.

Accordingly, I bring you

the "BLOG BREAK UP" SERIES...


Featured Blogger
KAREN E. LANGE




http://karenelange.blogspot.com/

(BLOG BREAK about 5 MONTHS)
 
WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO STOP BLOGGING OR TAKE AN EXTENDED BREAK?
Overall I've enjoyed blogging - it's a wonderful venture where you meet and interact with great people and learn a whole lot of things you didn't know you didn't know.But it takes a lot of time, effort, and energy, from writing posts to keeping up with comments and visiting others' blogs and more. After nine years of blogging, I was about fried. It was quickly becoming evident that if I didn't take a break, blogging would go from a "want to" to a "have to" kind of thing. I was on empty, and just wanted to get away. And just about didn't care if I returned. It was time to step back. I also had other and new commitments that needed attention and I wanted to work out the bugs with all of that. 

HOW HAS IT IMPACTED YOUR TIME OR CREATIVE CAREER?

My career hasn't been affected in the four months since I stepped away. Current freelance and online tutoring pursuits were not gained through my blog. This hasn't been a great concern for me, as the blog is still there, so to some degree it still maintains my presence. As far as time goes, I have more. Have I used it wisely or efficiently? Not always. But the break has been a wonderful reprieve.

WHAT DO YOU MISS MOST ABOUT NOT BLOGGING?

Without question - I miss the people. The blogging community I interact with is a wonderful, kind, and supportive group of writers, readers, and other creatives.

 WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT W.I.P. (WORK IN PROGRESS)?

I have many irons in the fire, from working on web content and articles to revising high school creative writing lessons for publication. Some days I'm not quite sure which to work on first. :)

 DO YOU FEEL BLOGGING IS STILL RELEVANT TODAY?
I do. The landscape has changed over the years, so I think relevancy depends on what you're doing, if you're selling books or services, how you wish to gain info, and get your info out there. It's still a great way to connect with others, sharpen your writing skills, and highlight your talents.

WILL YOU RETURN?
Likely, yes.



Your turn, readers.

Thoughts? Questions?

Have you ever thought of breaking up with your blog?

(No judgments here). :-)

 



 Image credit: Pixabay.com




12 comments:

  1. It's an honor to be a part of this series, Jen! Thanks so much for allowing me to visit. The break has been therapeutic. :) Looking forward to returning in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      The honor is mine. And I think I speak for many when I say you've been missed.
      ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have noticed several of my blogging friends taking extended breaks. These breaks are important. I have tired to follow your advice, Jennifer, and arrange blog breaks. I arrange mine around holidays. Doing this helps me keep fresh in my approach to it and keeps my attitude from being "I have to blog" to "I get to blog."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, blog breaks help us to renew. Take as directed, Cecelia. Lol
      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jennifer and Karen - it's good to see Karen again ... but I quite understand her need for a timely break. That's good to see you'll be back in September ... and I have to agree with you - we are lucky to be amongst such interesting bloggers, as too the knowledge that's available within the group.

    See you both soon - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary,
      Loved hearing from you today!

      Delete
    2. Hilary,
      Looking forward to seeing you soon. Thanks for the understanding and support! :)

      Delete
  4. Howdy! I know this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask.

    Does operating a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work?
    I am brand new to operating a blog however I do write
    in my diary daily. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able
    to share my personal experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for
    new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. Thanks so much for your time and comment. Much luck to you.

      Delete
  5. I started mine in February. I am still learning the ropes. I remember the first follower I had. I was so excited. I still am when I get the e-mail notice.

    It does take time. Luckily I am organized. I always set aside a certain time of day but I have noticed some of my followers are no longer posting. They may have taken a break or walked away.

    A blog is not meant to become a job you hate. If that happens the blogger needs to take a step back and consider their options. Those that take a break are the smart ones. They are doing themselves and their readers a favor.

    Excellent post. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan,
    New followers are indeed awesome. I couldn't agree more. And blog breaks are soooo important.
    Thanks so much for adding to the mix today.

    ReplyDelete