"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Pen & Prosper Celebrates National Friendship Month

 

Friends are worth celebrating...

 
Did you know that there is actually a recognized "holiday" for celebrating friendship?
I recently stumbled across this information and couldn't wait to share it here!
You can learn more at Friendshipday.org:

http://www.friendshipday.org/when-is-friendship-day.html

Who's bringing the ice cream for the celebration? :-)

Friendship is crucial to an enhanced quality of life. Good ones are sacred.
And when it comes to our "writer" friends? They keep us motivated. They serve as our cheerleaders.
They understand our creative trials and tribulations. We laugh together. We cry together. We share ideas and leads. We persevere and pray together.

As such, today's post addresses the 5 Friends

Every Writer Should Have



 
 
As solitary professionals, writers don't often have the luxury of cultivating (and maintaining) workplace friendships like those in the corporate arena.
Other than the mailman and the folks we meet and greet at the local coffee shop, we're on our own. True?

There are no "water cooler" conversations, juicy office gossip, or gripes with a bad boss that binds us. Of course, we do have social media that allows us to connect and share "Tweets" with our "peeps"; but it's not quite the same.

You, "my friend," need to have friends beyond the virtual world. You need to have a support system of solid people of whom you can rely. And no, your pet Fido doesn't count. :-)

Here are five folks I believe every serious writer should add to their V.I.P. list, for a more enriching experience and more successful career.
See if you agree.

1. THE TECH GUY
Of all my professional challenges, I am most stumped by technology. Hacks, attacks, and things that go whack! Oh my! Lucky for me that I was blessed to meet a guy some years ago that has provided some serious on-site assistance-- with software installation, virus attacks, and general maintenance. He's a true life saver. Which brings to mind, a while back ago, when my laptop went out on me in the middle of a very important (and lucrative) client's project and he provided a "loaner" at the last minute. Thanks, Emmanuel!

2. THE LOCAL LIBRARIAN
My friend Deb is bright, helpful and resourceful. If I need reliable statistics for a proposal I'm pitching, she'll either provide the research, or steer me in the right direction. She recommends good reads, and is always well informed about things going on in the literary community.

3. THE CONSUMMATE "CHEERLEADER"
You've gotten a rejection letter from an editor that really cut you to the core. Or you're working hard, but seem to be going nowhere. Or a client pink-slips you. Who do you call? No, not ghost busters! For me, it's typically my friend, "Red". As a creative artist too, she sometimes knows my pain and understands my struggles. She reminds me of all I've accomplished. She also has a good sense of humor, which allows me to "lighten up" when needed.

4. THE "DO I LOOK FAT IN THESE JEANS?" FRIEND
When you can't really be objective about your work and need someone to provide a reality check, this individual helps you keep your head on straight, and keep your wits about you. Accepting the "honors" for this award is my mom.

5. THE CREDENTIALED EXPERT
Every writer knows that a good quote provides extra "oomph" and greater credibility to feature pieces and interviews. The problem? Many times credentialed go-to gurus are busy with their own projects, or you may feel intimidated to reach out to them. I'm so fortunate to have noted authors like Noelle Sterne, Wendy Burt and William July, (and more folks than I can mention here) to go to. I greatly appreciate their time, wisdom and expertise.
 
In closing, I'd like to thank each of you for your virtual "friendship" and ongoing support here at Pen & Prosper. Without you, it wouldn't be worth it. :-)
 
 

COMMENT CONTEST

 
Let's add some fun and interest to things here.  Leave a comment on friendship or this post in general. Two random winners will be selected to receive 2 FREE EBOOKS from my popular series
"Bank on Success!" 
 
 
 
THIS JUST IN: Congratulations to the winners of our comment contest!
Linda O. and Marcie H.
(I'll be sending your books out next week).
 
Thanks to everyone that participated.
 
 
 

Image credits: Pixabay.com

 
 

 

 

 



15 comments:

  1. Very well written article. It will be supportive to anybody who employess it, including myself.
    Keep up the good work - for sure i will check out more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic! I agree, friends are crucial to this writing life. Virtual ones, like in present company, are such a wonderful gift and a great supportive system. Real life friends are vital too, not only do they provide marvelous support, but help remind us of life beyond the laptop.

    As for your types of friends listed above, they're all valuable, but #4 is my favorite. Need I elaborate? lol Thanks, as always, for sharing your insight and wisdom, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, dear friend.
    Category # 4 is crucial for quality relationships. I appreciate your time and comment.
    So glad to call U friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing is such an independent endeavor, but we are all independent. What would we do without writer friends? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lin,
    Great to hear from you today.
    Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article, Jen; keep up the good work! Speaking of friends, you are one of my favorite writing mentors. You never fail to intrigue me with your wiring savvy and words of wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends are God's forgiveness for family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my fave family quotes. Lol
      Thanks, Marcie.

      Delete
  8. Sorry I haven't stopped by in a while, Jenifer. This summer has been a beast! But I love this post. So very true in many aspects. Thanks for being one of my never fail friends. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you, lovely lady. I can't wait to read about your summer adventures on your blog.
      You were missed.

      Delete
  9. We live in a great time. I talk to people all over the world every day. We have never met but we are dear friends. They have given me more than they will ever know.

    This is a special time and you my friend are a special person. Have yourself a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan,
      How true. This is a special time. Thanks for your comment and perspective.
      I treasure you. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Same here. Thanks for your excellent site.

    ReplyDelete