"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, January 29, 2018

4 Fears Every Writer Must Face in Their Career

  

Let's face it: life is full of fears real and imagined...
  • In a tough economy, the fear exists of losing our jobs.
  • Then there's the fear of keeping our jobs and being stuck and suffocated indefinitely.
  • Add to this the fear of not having a bikini-ready body by summer (ok, this is mostly me). 
For writers, the plot thickens. We are often faced with a myriad of fears, that if not handled properly can sabotage our success. Today we'll look at a few of them.
Because as Dr. Phil states: "You can't fix what you don't acknowledge first."

With this in mind, here are four of the most common phobias writers face:





The Fear of Rejection

Writing makes us vulnerable. Sharing our thoughts, feelings and experiences in public forums can be a bit scary. What if people don't like us? Or disagree with us? Or criticize us? Or make fun of us? What if editors say "no" to our submissions? The fear of rejection keeps a lot of writers grounded and "undiscovered." Don't let it be you. Develop a thick skin. And keep moving forward. Rejection as a writer is as common as cold weather in the winter. 

The Fear of Stolen Ideas & Projects

Though creative theft does exist, it's more of an exception than a general rule. Most writers and publishing professionals think that their ideas are way better than other people's anyway. Besides, few would want to take on the risk of being sued. If you are seeking more security of your written materials, you can get copyrights for added protection. Learn more here:

The Fear of Poverty

How many of us chose alternative college majors because we were told that writing was more of a hobby than a "real" career? I know I did. But here's the truth of it. There are writers that are rich, successful, famous and living the good life. Think J.K. Rowling. Think John Grisham. And how about Danielle Steel? Granted, the odds are against you reaching their level; still, with diligence, confidence, and consistency you could earn more than your 9 to 5 gig. "Think and grow rich."

The Fear of Failure

Also known as Atichyphobia, is labeled by Fear.net as one of the biggest barriers to success.
Remember that failure does not have to be permanent. Consider how many times famous inventors "failed" before ultimately finding solutions and products that greatly enhance our everyday existence today.
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."


What phobias do you battle to fend off? Here's an interesting compilation for inquiring minds:


Thoughts? Don't be "afraid" to leave a comment. :-)






    




14 comments:

  1. Appreciate this advice on how to avoid these roadblocks, Jennifer. If we don't move forward and stretch we never grow, do we? Btw, am skipping that particular beach attire this summer as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      Glad to hear from you on this. Maybe next year for those bikinis, right? Lol

      Delete
  2. When I first started writing, I feared success and exposure. An older, well published man at an open mic asked me to give him a copy of the poem I read. He said it was publishable, but I was afraid to put my business out there, so I said, no. The poem eventually was published years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never know where our work will take us if we overcome our fears.
      Thanks, Lin.

      Delete
  3. Everybody is different. Some live in constant fear while others do not. I learned at an early age to embrace fear and accept the fact it is another ingredient of our emotions. I made fear my friend the same way I made happiness my friend. Fear taught me what I had to do to grow. If I was afraid of something it meant I was weak. By overcoming the weakness I had to learn, make mistakes and improve. Fear can be an asset. It is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart concept..
      to make fear your friend, Bryan. I hope one day to say the same.
      Thanks for your time and feedback.

      Delete
    2. I have a hunch you would stare fear in the face and fear would blink. I'm pretty good at my hunches. :)

      Delete
    3. Ha! I wish. But I am getting better, I'd like to think.
      Thanks for your time and kind words.

      Delete
  4. There is no such thing as Failure, only - Results - and when the Results aren't exactly what you hoped for, the Result is that you have a Starting point for making new improvements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking about Results,

      To get more visitors to get more visitors to our blogs and webstores, we submitted photos for photo competitions.

      As a result we recently also actually ended up

      Winning a First Prize! and some prize money!

      Delete
  5. I love this way of thinking, H.P.
    Good to reconnect with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fear of Success - and all the expectations and complications that come with it. Especially if you're not tested enough to handle it, or expert enough to duplicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valid points here, Karent.
    Thanks so much for adding your perspective to the conversation today. Hope to hear from you again in the future.

    ReplyDelete