Imagine, if you will, your disappointment at finding that your favorite TV show has been cancelled. Or a local book store you adored, closed its doors due to poor sales and a lack of support.
Or your political candidate was knocked out of the race due to a lack of votes.
Though these things certainly wouldn't devastate you, you'd probably feel the void in their absence.
Well, a similar fate is brewing in the blogosphere.
HERE'S WHAT'S HAPPENING
The other day, a blogger I once
As a professional freelancer, I can not argue with her logic; it's simple business math.
And I must confess that there have been times that I have felt that same gravitational "pull."
In fact, over the last few years, I've witnessed a growing number of "successful" blogs close their virtual doors, never to return. And it could very well happen to your favorites too.
LET'S TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT SOME CONTRIBUTING FACTORS HERE
1. A LACK OF COMMENTS OR ENGAGEMENT FROM READERS
2. COMPETING DEMANDS (i.e. family obligations, a 9 to 5 job, clients' work, etc.)
3. BLOG BURN OUT/ FEELING OVERWHELMED AND UNDER-APPRECIATED
4. THE DESIRE TO EARN PAY FOR THEIR SAY
Because there are millions of blogs in the blogosphere, you might mistakenly think that these blogs wouldn't even be missed. You'd be wrong.
Each blog has its own focus, personality, "voice," style, agenda, purpose and reach.
Also worth mentioning, is that the really good ones add value to our collective community, and when they bail out on us, there's truly a deficit.
We lose the blogger's talent, take on life, personal stories, truths, and their unique experiences.
Which is the reason that we as readers, must become more than passive "spectators" if we want more virtual doors to stay open.
With this in mind here are 7 ways to encourage & support your favorite bloggers...
(Choose 1 or all 7)
2. Submit a guest post to help ease their workload.
3. Share their blog posts with your social media circle. Tweet your peeps.
4. Buy their books or products (they need to eat and feed their families too.) :-)
5. Support their advertisers.
6. Take out an Ad on their site.
7. Donate money to their site, to help with expenses.
THE WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME? FACTOR...
Good blogging enriches us, entertains us, inspires us, and informs us.
And there's no cost involved.
It's a venue where people of different cultures, countries, perspectives, creeds, and intersections of life, can come together--laugh, learn, debate and share. It's one of the things that makes this country great.
Let's not take it for granted. If we do, we all lose.
Thanks for your readership.
...A penny for your thoughts