"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, April 22, 2016

A Tribute to Music Legend Prince...

1958-2016
 
 
Needless to say, this was not the post intended for today. In fact, the situation really shouldn't exist. And yet, here we are. Left with such loss. A void that time will never heal.
 
I was a HUGE fan of music legend, Prince. His music served as the backdrop to a lot of good times,  happy celebrations, and creative release.
 
I penned this poem last night in his honor. I hope you dig it.
 
 
                                           4 PRINCE...
 
 
He left the party early,
Dressed
In purple wings and glitter,
 
Causing time to stand still,
Like 1999...
 
Then the music stopped
For all of us,
Leaving hearts
Of purple tears,
 
Forming
Purple Rain
Purple Rain...
 
(C) 2016 Jennifer Brown Banks
 
 
 
 
May you rest in peace.
And celebrate a new "cross-over" status in your transition.
From a forever fan, with love.
 
 
Any prince fans out there...? What's your favorite Prince song? 
 
Please share your thoughts and memories in the comments.
 
 
Image credit: Nikola
 
 
 


13 comments:

  1. Your wonderful tribute poem brought tears. A legend gone too soon. I lived my "Youth Part ll" after my divorce, with Prince on my soundtrack of life. He and Gloria Gaynor provided my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      Thanks so much for sharing this. I love that you were touched by my poetic tribute. I was just listening to an interview today on TV where a celebrity stated, "Prince made everybody better at what they did." May we all aspire to this as creative artists.

      Delete
  2. That's my dude. I'll miss that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie,

    You were one of the first people I thought of when I heard the news. Ironically, you and I were just "singing his praises" @ our last board meeting. We talked about going to his next concert. I feel your pain. Thanks so much for stopping by and giving "dude" his "due." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Prince! I slept in the parking lot of the Rosemont Herizon to get tickets to the Purple Rain Concert. Your poem is a beautiful tribute to great artist and humanitarian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph,

    U were a fan through and through, true blue! I appreciate your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer - the 'advantage' of them dying early .. is I get to appreciate their music and understand their lives a little - so I feel for him and for the artistic-creatives of life - he obviously had so much to give - and I really didn't know ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary,

      What a positive way of looking at this! You're right. For example, I didn't know until now that Prince played over 20 musical instruments and that he often hosted parties at his place for fans. Or that he was a great humanitarian that donated money to so many causes. I really appreciate your feedback on this. :-)

      Delete
  7. P.S.,
    If you're interested in learning more about him, a great start is his movie "Purple Rain"- which is said to be loosely based upon his life. The soundtrack is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely tribute for a very talented person - such a touching poem. May he rest in peace. I really enjoyed his music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Yasmin. I feel as sad as I did when Michael died; their talent will never be truly duplicated. I appreciate your time and feedback. :-)

      Delete
  9. Prince brings back a lot of memories, I probably will have some more new posts comming up on my Music blog soon because I recently actually had an - On Stage - experience that strangly enough is also indirectly somewhat linked to Prince!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H.P.,

      I never figured you for a Prince fan. You've got good taste :-) Keep me posted on that "on stage experience." Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete