"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, March 14, 2013

What's Your Favorite Book or Blog by a Woman Author- or on the subject of Women?

A good book is like a good handbag. It makes us feel enhanced. It's functional. And it transcends trends and fads.
And if the good book happens to be of the self-help genre, it becomes like our favorite bag that takes us through the many seasons of our lives and becomes somewhat irreplaceable.
Am I right?

As we continue to explore Women's History Month, I am reminded of the vast array of awesome books authored by fabulous females. Titles that transform, enlighten, elevate and empower.
Books that help us to recognize our vital roles and become better mothers, wives, teachers, daughters, friends. Books that become like bibles for better living.

Not to mention, the popular blogs of today that entertain, educate and enrich us.
With this as today's focus, I'd like to share a few of my female "faves" and invite you to join in!

FAVORITE BOOKS BY OR ABOUT WOMEN: 

1. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff---By Kristine Carlson
OMG! If you have money or time just for a few reads to add to your list this year, this should be in the front running. Oddly, this was an accidental discovery. You see, I was a fan of Richard Carlson, PH. D. and his popular "Don't Sweat" series. So when I came across this book at a local thrift store, I was intrigued, so I immediately bought it. What a major score! Women will discover sage advice like that offered from a best friend. So rich with "valuable gems" that I even recommend it for gift giving.
Chapters include: bust your boredom blues, cut your friends some slack, and stop comparing yourself to the media measuring stick.

2. Simple Abundance---By Sarah Ban Breathnach
Given to me by my dear friend Carol, ions of years ago, this book remains a constant source of comfort and inspiration. Sarah helps readers to become more reflective, introspective, and focused on things that really matter in the overall scheme of things. It's a must read for modern women seeking to "be more and not just buy more".

3. Anything by the late Erma Bombeck
She's the literary version of Lucille Ball, and even more.
Over the years, I have collected so many of her titles that I can't single out one over the other; as each and every one of them will make you laugh to the point of tears. She was a master at her craft, and sorely missed.

4. What Every Woman Should Know About Love & Marriage---By Dr. Joyce Brothers
I personally am of the opinion that one of the leading reasons of failure in relationships is unrealistic expectations. Anyone with me here?
Please believe that the honeymoon won't last forever. Hello? :-)
Accordingly, this title helps to debunk a lot of myths about marriage and mating. To reinforce the "strategies" and advice offered are test studies, case studies, and years of counseling experience provided by one of the most noted female "therapists" of our times.

5. He's Just not That Into You---By Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo
Wow...where do I begin?
This self help book was a reality check for chicks, with a simple wake-up call serving as a voice of reason: girl, he's just not "that" into you! :-)
Have you ever tried to decipher the mixed messages men send? Like he takes your number, says he'll call and doesn't? Or he professes his love, but his actions say otherwise? Well, you'll learn how to pick up important clues, and detect valuable red flags for interacting more successfully with the opposite sex.
Please note: I don't think that "all men" can be accurately assessed by using "blanket" behavior techniques, or even that this author should be the spokesperson for all men's actions and belief systems. Still, it's an empowering read, with much food for thought here.

6. Chocolate for a Woman's Heart---By Kay Allenbaugh
First of all, how can you go wrong with any project that includes "chocolate"?
When I was selected to participate in this popular anthology published by Simon and Schuster some years ago, I was elated! Then when I read the other stories, I was really stoked. It's an impressive read written by accomplished women of all walks of life and ages, on universal themes. From dealing with death, to exploring dreams, to new beginnings, to marrying for the second time, and even overcoming obstacles. Savor its sweetness one story at a time, or devour it all at once. Either way, you're in for quite a treat.

This closes the chapter on this post, folks.
Join me later this month when we'll explore further some bodacious blogs by females.
Stay tuned; it may even be your blog! :-)

Your turn.
Thoughts? Comments?  I'd love to hear from you on this.

Image: Freedigitalphotos.net

11 comments:

  1. Wow, where do I start. Probably with Margaret Mitchell who opened my eyes to a world that bored me to tears in school - history. Gone
    With the Wind helped me to understand that history is about people and how they handle their wars and it's aftermath. That handling affects all of us in every age. My favorite mystery writer is Elizabeth George and her world shows that a dowdy women detective, Barbara Havers, and her male superior, Inspector Lynley, can solve crimes with the best of them. I don't read much in the self help department, but I sure appreciate your recommendations, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksMarch 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

      Sue,

      Thanks so much for sharing these; with the exception of Margaret Mitchell, I'm not familiar with the rest. Please do read the first 2 titles I wrote about. I promise you'll thank me later...

      Delete
  2. Love the pink purse! Thanks so much for sharing this list. Erma Bombeck was always a favorite of mine. When I was younger I remember reading her column in my mom's magazines. Will have to check out the books I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksMarch 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

      Karen,

      Isn't that bag a "beaut"? :-) Like I told Sue, please read the first two on the list; they may even be available at your local library. Do let me know what you think, okay? :-)

      Delete
  3. Since you asked for blogs, I'll chime in with several of my favorites.
    Darcy Pattison's Fiction Notes (http://www.darcypattison.com/) always teaches me something.
    The same holds true with The Muffin, the blog for WOW! Women on Writing (http://muffin.wow-womenonwriting.com/). True, I'm one of their bloggers but I was excited to get the position because of the great company I would be keeping.
    Not to be outdone, C. Hope Clark (http://hopeclark.blogspot.com/) is also an amazing teacher with a lot to share.
    --SueBE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksMarch 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

      Hi SueBE,

      Thanks for chiming in here. :-) I read the Muffin,
      (also had a guest post there last year), and C. Hope Clark always offers food for thought. I'm not familiar with Darcy's...I don't believe. I appreciate these recommendations for my readers.

      Delete
  4. I Love the pink purse colour. Thanks so much for sharing with us and Allenbaugh is my favorite writer.


    The Equation book



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksMarch 15, 2013 at 4:41 AM

      Hi Henry,

      Welcome! Thanks so much for the feedback; glad you liked the pink purse. And Allenbaugh has a lot of fans. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Jennifer Brown BanksMarch 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM

    Hi Henry,

    Welcome! Thanks so much for the feedback; glad you liked the pink purse. And Allenbaugh has a lot of fans. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jen:

    Good stuff here! One of my favorite books by a female author is The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. This novel gives a voice to Dinah, daughter of Jacob from the book of Genesis. The Red Tent is a fascinating tale about women supporting women while under the control of fathers, brothers, husbands.

    Great topic! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...a blast from the past! Welcome back. :-) Thanks for sharing this one; I've never heard of it. Sounds like an interesting read. Have a great WHM.

      Delete