"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, April 30, 2023

A Review of Singer Jill Scott's 1st Poetry Book

Jill Scott is the real deal. Whether singing soulful lyrics or penning passionate poetry, she keeps things real and relatable.

As we conclude National Poetry Month, I wanted to share this gem that I discovered yesterday at my local library's poetry fest. And had the pleasure of taking home with me (from their free table of literature for visiting patrons).

It must have been serendipity that I stumbled upon it, folks; as I have been a huge fan of Jill's for many years.

Jill's jazzy, eclectic music has served as my muse for endless hours, while toiling away in my home office. It has even inspired me to create a piece in her honor. Which I will share at the end of this post.

THE REVIEW* HERE'S THE 4-1-1 

In her first-ever poetry collection, she reveals to readers a myriad of emotions, experiences, and perspectives as she explores love, loss, and her evolution into womanhood. Her style is authentic and unapologetic.

She brings to mind a mixture of Aretha Frankin, Bonnie Raitt, and Beyonce all rolled up into one. She is dynamic and diverse.

This page-turner is engaging, honest, humorous, thought-provoking, wicked, wise, and wonderful.   

HERE'S A BRIEF SAMPLE FROM THE BOOK...

BLUE

I put food coloring in my bath yesterday

Sat in a pretty blue

Let the drops fall from my finger tips

Onto my breast and my stomach

I just wanted to look how I feel

Without you...


As a point of reference here, I have a pretty extensive collection of books in my personal library, with poetry titles authored from an array of singers, TV personalities, and even the standard classics. They include books by Tupac, Alicia Keys, Danielle Steel, and others.

I would have to say that Ms. Scott's book is to date my favorite. Besides the excellent poetry, this 124-page collection has lovely illustrations,  interesting photography, and formatting that varies with different poetic themes.

Also worth mentioning is her selection of clever Haikus. Impressive indeed.

I would rate "The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours" ***** 5 stars out of 5. It will be worth every moment, minute, hour you spend reading it. Trust me here.

Now, as mentioned before, here's the poem I wrote and dedicated to Jill Scott back in 2006, in my poetry book entitled "The Leather Pants...And Other Provocative Pieces."

Page 53

A TRIBUTE TO JILL SCOTT

U

Make notes

Gloat

Each time

You release them

Into the universe,

Proud to be

The medium

By which

You move so many,

Privileged

For their part,

In the joy

You create

 

(c) 2006 Jennifer Brown Banks


Check out the reviews (or order your copy) here:

https://www.amazon.com/Moments-Minutes-Hours-Poetry-Scott/dp/0312329628


Thanks for reading. 

Thoughts? Comments?


  

4 comments:

  1. What a great find, Jen! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! To quote a famous commercial: "I'm lovin' it!"

      Delete
  2. Jennifer, I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing information on Jill's first collection. I will be checking it out. Your tribute poem is also lovely. This was a great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yasmin,
      Welcome back. Thanks so much for taking the time to weigh in. It matters. :-) Please try to get your hands on her book soon. It does not disappoint!

      Delete