"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Jen's Pandemic Playlist...

 


Last week, while out shopping for yard landscaping items for spring projects, I ended up picking up a music CD that reminded me of music's "magical" elements and the joy of simple pleasures.

How music can temporarily make bad moods disappear and lift the spirits. How it can transport listeners to different times and past loves. How it can cause us to stop and sing or sway or dance. Forget our worries.

That $7.00 purchase of the Bee Gees' greatest hits definitely hit the spot. In fact "Staying Alive" is blaring in the background as I compose this piece. (No pun intended). 

Lately, with so much tragedy, violence, political upheaval and health issues, being able to find a form of escape that keeps us sane and safe is a definite blessing. Wouldn't you agree?  

But, don't just take my word for it. Here's what the experts and related studies show:

According to Verywellmind.com: " If you like music you probably already know it can affect your mood. Maybe you put on your favorite song to pump yourself up for an important meeting or listen to soothing music when you’re relaxing at home before bed.  Research has demonstrated the benefits of music therapy for people with depression and anxiety. While music therapy is often used to promote mental and emotional health, it may also improve the quality of life for people with physical health problems."

While Harvard healthedu. shares: "How might music enhance cognitive performance? It's not clear, but the researchers speculated that listening to music helps organize the firing of nerve cells in the right half of the cerebral cortex, the part of the brain responsible for higher functions. According to this construct, music — or at least some forms of music — acts as an "exercise" that warms up selected brain cells, allowing them to process information more efficiently."  

ACCORDINGLY, HERE'S WHAT'S ON MY PANDEMIC PLAYLIST THAT I RECOMMEND FOR YOU IN 2021...

(You can thank me later.)


STEVIE WONDER'S SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE

THE BEE GEES GREATEST HITS

MICHAEL BUBLE'S IT'S TIME

THE SOUNDTRACK FROM WAITING TO EXHALE

SNOH ALEGRA'S UGG THOSE FEELINGS

JOHN LEGEND

KHALID

EARTH, WIND & FIRE

KENNY G

ELLA MAI

BEETHOVEN'S FIFTH SYMPHONY


What's on your playlist these days? Who did I miss?



Image credits: Pixabay.com


9 comments:

  1. I agree completely. The one thing I miss since covd shut down is live music. But the one thing that made me happy this week is i found my Rod Stewart's greatest hits CD which I thought was gine with my wrecked car two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      Good 4 you! I dig me some Rod Stewart. Glad you found your "lost love." :-)

      Delete
  2. You're right, Jen. Music can soothe, encourage, uplift, and generally give us a much needed boost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. Your feedback is always like "music to my ears." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a vinyl version of Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes (I think it's a greatest hit album). I also have a three record set of Diana Ross and the Supremes. Paul Simon's "Graceland."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome collection! I wish I hadn't sold my vinyl, in retrospect...
    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen--I'm "Unknown." I must have commented while on my work email...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux,

    I suspected as much when I saw the Paul Simon reference. I'm on to you and your great, diverse musical taste. :-) Be sure to check out SNOH ALEGRA. You'll love her music. Have I ever steered you wrong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS! I forgot the question mark (?) after the word wrong.

      Delete