"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Food 4 Thought On George Floyd and Where We Are



As a general rule, I typically don't address controversial topics on Pen and Prosper. And with good reason. I figure there's enough "noise" on the Net. Why amplify it. True?
Still, as writers and bloggers, sometimes it becomes important for us to use our platforms to teach, transform, share important stories, eradicate ignorance and enrich others. Not to mention, when we are silent on crucial issues we miss the opportunity to make a difference.
This is one of 'dem times.

The other day, I walked endlessly, to the point where my feet ached, in an effort to search for something simple. I had a taste for some meat loaf, but was out of ground beef. (And humbly speaking, my meatloaf is "to die for".)


I walked from store to store, corner to corner, block to block. They all had one thing in common.
They were all closed due to recent looting and chaos associated with the George Floyd incident.
Many were boarded up. It was nothing like the beautiful, busy streets I usually encounter in my middle-class neighborhood.

I found myself fighting back the tears out of frustration. How did we get here?
It seems that "the more things change the more they stay the same."  Truth is, a lot of folks believe that in this post-Obama era that discrimination, racial injustice and police brutality against people of color are a thing of the past.
If you're one of them, I have some land I'd like to sell you. :-)

To process the pain and vent, I wrote this poem.

Feel free to comment (respectfully) or to share your own thoughts as well.
No judgement here.


4 GEORGE FLOYD

Nobody wins,
When the injustice
We seek to avenge
Is overshadowed
With a victory that’s
Shallow,

A war waged
With looting,
Shooting,
Senseless violence 
And civil unrest,
With scores
Of stores
Ensconced
In boards,
As havoc
Lords,

Nobody wins,

Nobody wins,
When history’s former lessons
Go unheeded
And progress impeded--

By ghosts
Of yesteryears,
unresolved fears,
And a
 broken system,
With a pathology
Yet to be 
Remedied,

Nobody wins,
 With hatred 
And an 
“Eye for an eye” mentality,

For the inescapable reality
Is violence 
Begets violence
Plain 
And simply, 

For 
in the end,

LOVE
Always
Wins



On a final note here, I am proud to announce my contribution to an upcoming anthology on activism, slated for publication in September.

Learn more here.

https://musewrite.com/forthcoming-book

Have a great week ahead.

P.S. Please excuse any typos. I have not had my caffeine yet today.


Image credits: Pixabay.com

12 comments:

  1. I am a Christian caucasian. I have been in worship with Afro-American believers in my city. It broke my heart to hear that some mean spirited people took advantage of the protests, which we all have the right to do, and vandalize businesses that may never be able to reopen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecelia,
      Two wrongs certainly don't make a right. It was indeed unfortunate. Thanks so much for starting the discussion here.

      Delete
  2. Nobody wins...that sums it up, for sure. But you offer the cure, love. One word. Thank you.

    Please come to see me, I have ground beef in my freezer you are more than welcome to. Would love to try your meat loaf. Love and hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Keep that ground beef on hand. You'll be my first visit next time I'm in Kentucky, dear. Meatloaf (and tea) will be on the menu. Love back at ya'.

      Delete
  3. I'm an African-American living in Chicago. Around the same time as Floyd, an African-American male pushed another off the 87th street platform during an argument where he was crushed to death under train wheels. A photo of his partially mangled body was even shown on the news. Where is the outrage for him if black lives matter? Is it only when a white kills a black that it matters? I get that we want to set the world on fire for one wrongful death. But be mindful there are many other families grieving just as deeply over loved ones killed equally unjustly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, "unknown". Thanks so kindly for your perspective on this.

      Delete
  4. Your poem is a nurturing salve to the hurting human soul no matter what ethnicity. And the one thing the world does need now is LOVE. Hugs to you dear friend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment, Lin. Thanks for being you. :-)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful poem. Indeed, nobody wins when we self destroy.
    And love may not be the solution (it is never that simple) but love should inform the solution.
    We need a caring world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingmar, I second that. And though love made not be the complete remedy, love "heals". And it's a great starting point.
      Appreciate you adding to the mix here. Be well, buddy.

      Delete