"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, September 5, 2019

6 Ways to Stand out in the Publishing Industry (without selling your soul)!




Shakespeare once said: “The world is a stage.” And for me, there’s no greater “display” of who we are than what we do. In fact, the Internet, social media, blogs and global relationships have served to amplify our voices and highlight our “performance.”

It seems that so many people today are trying to stand out and get noticed.
The competition is fierce. The stakes are high. The potential rewards are great.
So many are seeking their “15 minutes of fame”…a viral video, a book contract, a major endorsement, their “big break”-- that these “starry-eyed dreamers” will do just about anything to get discovered.

Unfortunately, not realizing that there is a good way and a bad way to stand out.
Don’t let it be you.
In my efforts to enhance and edify fellow writers, please allow me to share what I have learned in my many years in the publishing industry, that could perhaps enable others to go the distance with fewer detours.

Accordingly, here are 6 timely tips to stand out (and stay relevant) in the publishing industry without selling your soul:

 



1. KEEP YOUR WORD.

Where do I begin? I’m not sure why it happens so often or if there is simply a decline in personal values, but so few people honor their words these days, that if YOU do, you’ll immediately stand out and impress. In my creative and corporate careers, I have worn many hats: senior editor; arts organization founder; office manager; instructor; (to name a few). I have dealt with folks of different creeds, colors, educational backgrounds, genders, levels, etc.
The ones that I choose to maintain ties and conduct business with repeatedly are those that can be counted on and trusted. Folks that have personal integrity. I would recommend the same for you.
 
2. KEEP CONFIDENCES.

Whether you are dealing with a famous celebrity that you are serving as a “ghost writer” for, or know some juicy gossip about a Facebook group friend, keep it to yourself. The world is smaller than you think. “Loose lips sink ships.”

3. DON’T “SNUB” FOLKS THAT YOU CONSIDER TO BE BENEATH YOU ON THE LADDER OF SUCCESS.

The reason? First off, well… it lacks class. Secondly, you never know who might be in the position to help or befriend you in the future. Or a person's sphere of influence.  Are you with me here?
Some time ago, for example, I reached out to a very famous celebrity who had just launched a cookbook. Since I love cooking and was a fan of hers, I excitedly issued a brief email message requesting an interview for my blog. I must admit that her response gave me cause for pause. Her interaction was so cold, impersonal and ungrateful, (this chick wouldn’t  even agree to the interview without knowing my specific site stats). Adding insult to injury, she never thanked me for my initial interest and support. I later decided not to move forward with it. I also didn’t purchase any of her future books.
The moral of the story? Kindness doesn’t cost a thing. And fans are the reason celebrities (and successful writers) exist. Too many folks suffer from the "Big I little U syndrome."
As a point of reference here, I treat my yard maintenance guy with the same respect I show my attorney.
“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”

Also worth noting: if domestic diva Martha Stewart could find benefit in befriending bad-boy rapper Snoop Dogg, maybe we should all be more open to different creative alliances. "Fo' shizzle!"

4. ESTABLISH A REPUTATION FOR EXCELLENCE.

Submit quality work consistently. Blog bodaciously. Honor deadlines. Strive to make a positive difference. Help others when you can. Believe me, your reputation in the publishing industry is just as important and relevant as the size of your social media following. Wouldn't you agree?

5. CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES WISELY.

Don’t engage in word wars in public forums. Don’t burn bridges unnecessarily.
Resist the urge to “bad-mouth” a bad client through a detailed rant on your blog.
Take the "high road". There's less traffic.

6. STAY TRUE TO WHO YOU ARE.

Never lose yourself in your efforts to be liked and accepted by everyone else. Stand for something. Then stand firm. Recognize that no matter what you do and how hard you try, not every one will dig you or your work. And that’s okay.
As the Good book tells us: “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?”

That’s my take here. Would love to hear yours.

Remember, you don’t have to be in the spotlight to shine!




Image credits: Pixabay.com

4 comments:

  1. Excellent advice. These solid principles are timeless and quite simply the best way to live and treat others well in business and otherwise. Thanks so much, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to hear from you, Karen.
      Thanks much.

      Delete
  2. "Take the "high road". There's less traffic" A friend of mine gave a message at church in which she said "Take the high road, the view is better" I downloaded the meme that I found and had it for my lock screen for a long time. I have had to live by this thought many times, most recently this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the faith, dear.
    Appreciate your feedback here.

    ReplyDelete