"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, October 1, 2018

My Life as a Real Life "Word Girl"!

 

Word Girl is a 5th grade popular fictional character that uses vocabulary to defeat villains, restore order and make the world a better place. She was born on a fictional planet called Lexicon. Her super-power is her awesome strength and arsenal of words.


And she is my “spirit animal.”

As a veteran writer and blogger for more than a decade, I too use my love of language and acumen with words to protect, defend, empower, enlighten, fight ignorance, apathy and injustice. A tall order, I admit.

I am a logophile.
I dig strategically assembling the “write” words to produce a beautiful, well-put-together image, much like a wardrobe consultant.

(Side note here: I do some of my best work late at night, when the world is still and ideas magically manifest).

I believe that words have immense power.
They can destroy egos; dismantle relationships; incite wars; build bonds; or fire the imagination--depending upon the intent of the user. Even the “Good Book” tells us that there is life and death in the power of the tongue.

Though I have accepted this earthly assignment and personal mission, I admit I wasn’t always on board. I began writing at the age of 13 as a requirement for a Gifted Student Program. I enjoyed it but never took it seriously. Back then my “fix” was poetry. It was an awkward period of time and writing unexpectedly gave this shy teen a voice.
It also provided refuge and healing.

In my adolescent years, I kept journals in every size, color, style and theme. Some even had cute locks and unique pens. There was never an intent to share those inner-most thoughts. Until one day, my mother stumbled across some of my creative pieces among my bedroom stash. She convinced me that I had a “gift” and that it would be a sin not to share it with an audience.
The rest as they say, “is history.”

Fast forward to the adult chapter of my story ...

I find that people often romanticize the life of a scribe.
But don’t get it twisted. Being a real life “world girl” isn’t all glamour and good times.
In fact, I’ve considered retiring “my cape” more times than I care to mention.

This summer for example, numerous rejection letters from an array of different publications have served like Kryptonite; eroding my strength and clipping my “proverbial wings.” One day, I got 3 rejection letters on my submissions in a 24-hour span.

When this happens I occasionally rely on the assistance of my spirited side-kicks, Bartles and Jaymes for liquid courage. They convince me to forge forward.





So here I stand many years into this journey, invincible yet no longer “invisible“.
Righting wrongs, providing hope, shedding light, and being unapologetically me.
Courageously using the “active voice” (not passive).

Because the pen is indeed “mightier than the sword!”



Thoughts? Comments?
What's your creative "Super-power?" What would you like for it to be?

Image credit: Pixabay.com


8 comments:

  1. I've always thought of you as a Super Hero. My suspicions are confirmed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksOctober 4, 2018 at 8:31 AM

      Ha! That was cute and clever. You discovered my secret. Lol
      Thanks much, dear one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jennifer Brown BanksOctober 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM

      In the words of Helen Reddy, "I am woman hear me roar!" :-) Thanks much, Clee.

      Delete
  3. Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere,
    when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this
    brilliant article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a tough road we have chosen. I've discovered that those of us who are on it rarely get off. We love the power in our words. It brightens our world when we make someone smile and sometimes it gets a little brighter when we shoot down a bully.

    At times we will be pushed away. Told we're not good enough. When that happens I think of Muhammad Ali when he battled George Foreman. Foreman threw more punches but Ali won.

    Let them punch away. We'll wear them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true, Bryan,
    "May the force be with you!"
    Thanks for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete