Saturday, June 30, 2012
Birthday Blessings, Lessons and Reflections...
In a society obsessed with youth, beauty and image, many of us have mixed sentiments about adding another year to Father Time’s tally.
On one hand, there’s the undeniable toll that aging can take on one’s body: sore joints, crow’s foot, gravity issues…well, you get my point. :-)
On the other, is the indisputable reality that each year… each day, is a blessing.
We have constant reminders of this as we witness lives abbreviated in their prime.
The deaths of people like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and Heavy D, serve as sobering reminders.
Still, there is cause for pause and celebration!
Upon reflection, there are some things that truly get better with age.
One is that the older we become, the greater the likelihood that we will have learned more, and been “schooled” through “hard knocks “ lessons and refresher courses.
Thereby causing us to become wiser and better decision makers.
And some might even add, stronger.
Not to mention, more years typically translate into more richness in experiences and memories.
Wouldn’t you agree?
To give you an example, I was so touched by all the FaceBook comments posted on my wall from new “friends”, and was even tickled pink to get phone calls and emails from folks who were my classmates and friends back from 8th grade! They remember and honor my birthday decades later. Awesome!
As such, here are a few other life’s lessons I’ll share, as I celebrate and embrace another year.
Maybe these thoughts and philosophies will inspire an essay, poem, or blog post to fuel your own writing.
JEN'S LIFE LESSONS AND REFLECTIONS
1. Everybody that’s in your life ain’t necessarily “in your corner”. As the Bible tells us, “Guard your heart.”
2. Forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves. In other words, don’t carry grudges; they’ll mess up your “spiritual posture.” And many times it doesn’t even affect the intended party.
3. Kindness is never wasted.
4. Possessions don’t determine one’s worth.
5. You are judged by the company you keep.
6. Those who gossip with you will gossip about you.
7. When others doubt you, know that God knows your heart.
8. There is a blessing in each day.
9. There is a “message” in your mess.
10. Humor heals.
11. Hurt people hurt people!
12. True beauty is skin deep.
13. Give folks their “flowers” while they’re living.
14. Never make any man, (or a woman) a priority who views you merely as an option.
15. Be true to thineself.
16. The best revenge truly is a good life.
17. God will fix it.
18. When possible, “take the high road“.; there‘s less traffic. :-)
19. If you're not a part of the solution, don't be a part of the problem.
20. Good writing is a form of ministry.
21. While it's true that money won't buy happiness, financial security goes a long way towards having peace of mind and a good quality of life.
Well, that’s it, good people.
Would love to have your thoughts in return.
What lesson has another year taught you? Agree with any of these?
Image Credit: SPFF