"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, June 1, 2012

Are Bloggers Writers?


Sometimes there’s an underlying “elitism” within the literary community that suggests that bloggers are not serious writers, or that we don’t work as hard at our craft as those who solely embrace the title of “writer”.
Not true.

I’ve been blessed to have the best of both worlds.
Long before blogging became the “new black,” I earned pay for my say as a columnist, copywriter, feature writer and award-winning poet.

And I must admit, contrary to popular opinion, blogging can be harder and more time consuming comparatively speaking. It all depends on the nature and scope of one’s projects, and the type of blogging.
Consider this.
Blogging is by nature very competitive, as there are greater numbers of people who pursue it collectively than other genres.

So to stand out and stay in the mix, you’ve got to bring your “A” game. On the regular!
Additionally, even after conceptualizing your post, penning it, then posting it, your work is still not done. You’re not home free yet, my friend.

You still need to interact with blog commenters, promote your pieces through social media sites, pitch guest posts, all while prioritizing and balancing other creative projects. Oh my!

In fact, today’s post was not originally on my “to-do list”.
Rather, it was inspired, as a result of a conversation with another writer, who in discussing our projects, insinuated that her work was more involved and more valuable.
Maybe. Maybe not.

The whole situation sort of reminds me of how some in the field of academia view substitute teachers as “hired help“ rather than credentialed professionals who provide a very important supportive role.
But, that’s a whole ‘nother post, people. :-)

Don’t get me wrong; there’s a difference between recreational bloggers and those who are professionals. And those who don‘t know the difference “need not apply“.

In the words of disco queen, Donna Summer, “I work hard for the money. So hard for it honey.”
And many bloggers do.
Don’t get it twisted, yo! :-)

What say you? Are all Bloggers writers? Is Blogging to be considered as seriously as other genres of writing?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    Thank you for bringing the fire on this topic.

    Mass media professionals, as well as published authors, have looked down on bloggers as inferior upstarts to the craft of writing.

    I'm glad someone with your credentials can present on the subject from an informed perspective ... And not from the ivory tower as most do.

    (really glad I followed you over from your comment at thinktraffic.net ... you've been a great guide for my efforts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, hello again!

      Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad too that you followed me from ThinkTraffic. I certainly value your input and your time. As many of us can attest, (successful)blogging is no easy task.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do think that bloggers are writers, because as far as I understand a writer is broadly anyone who writes.

    Only there are a lot of different types of Bloggers, with different skill levels and different levels of professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H.P.,

      You make some good points here. Though I don't necessarily think that "ALL" bloggers are writers, many are. Some bloggers blog for recreational purposes, to rant or promote other businesses and services. While other bloggers are skilled, credentialed, professional writers, as much as anyone else.

      Delete
  3. Jennifer - Many points, well made (as usual). I'm currently researching two writing projects, keeping up with my blog, and trying to think of ways to promote my mystery. Gosh, if I'm not a writer - what am I? Don't care what the elites think. I care what my readers think. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      I hear ya'! :-) Thanks so much for your feedback. You are indeed a writer!

      Delete
  4. P.S.

    Pen & Prosper readers...Michael's comment supports what I've been saying all along. Leaving comments on posts that you read and enjoy is like providing a "paper trail" that others often follow to discover your blog.
    It works if you work it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that some bloggers are writers, and some are not. It just depends on the topic, the blog's purpose, etc.

    You and I of course, fall into the category of being both, since writing is our profession, and we blog as an extension or facet of that. As such, it is a viable avenue to pursue. Personally, blogging has offered a wonderful forum, fellowship, info, and writing opportunities. I would probably not be where I am as a writer had I not started blogging. (I met you through blogging, need I say more? :)

    And yes, oh my, yes, blogging can take a lot of time and effort. Any serious blogger can attest to that.

    Good topic, Jen, thanks for putting it out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for saying it here. :-)

      Delete
    2. And too...I am certainly grateful, Karen, that blogging has allowed our paths to cross. :-)

      Delete