Friday, January 21, 2011
Are You in Touch With Your "Inner-Oprah"? 7 Tips to Make it Happen!
She's built a billion dollar empire on her gift to gab.
This day-time talk show diva has garnered millions of viewers worldwide, and boasts her own network to boot. Like her or not, this queen reigns supreme.
Besides being a mentor and an inspiration to many, Oprah can serve as a great example of what bloggers should strive for in their “chat” with readers and their efforts for greater exposure.
There are indeed parallels.
Even though the mediums differ, bloggers too have a “virtual stage” of potentially thousands of viewers each time we create a post and hit the “publish” button. We too have the opportunity to create loyal fans and followers. We too can make an impact on the lives of others and be influencers and thought leaders.
Now that you've been inspired ,(and hopefully convinced) here are seven ways to tap into your inner-Oprah, become a more effective communicator, and cultivate a mass following:
1. Choose interesting topics to share. Learn how to turn even the mundane into something that's mention worthy. She's definitely a master in this arena. Once she even had a show called “Bra Intervention”. Hello? Now, that's not something you'd see on a lot of the morning shows. You get my drift here?
2. Identify your target audience and speak to their needs, in their language. Truth be told, no matter how wonderful your writing and blogging abilities, not everyone will find you to be their “program of choice”. Don't try to be. Instead, speak to the majority of those you wish to appeal to.
3. Avoid hogging the spotlight. In addition to your perspective and personal stories on your site, why not share feature interviews with other interesting bloggers, quotes from experts, or perhaps point to other sites through referral links?
4. Tug at the audience's emotions. Have real conversations that cause people to connect, laugh, cry, reflect, and relate. Draw from universal experiences like loss, ambition, work woes, passions, problems, memories and mistakes made.
5. Recognize that communication is a two-way thing. Respond to readers' comments, answer questions, take a passionate position.
6. No matter what your niche, industry, or personality type may be, have a conversational tone; talk “to” readers not “at “them. Avoid Geek speak, posts of epic proportions, and stuff that's too technical in nature.
7. Give take-away value. No, as a blogger you can't bestow new cars to all of your fans, but you can provide valuable content, food for thought, and lessons to learn and earn by.
You've probably spent a great deal of time and effort discovering your “writer's voice.” Now that you have, back it up with stimulating, online conversations that will make readers “tune in” time and time again!
How are you in touch with your inner-Oprah? What do you struggle with? Let me hear from you...:-)