"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Pen & Prosper Celebrates National Poetry Month

Happy National Poetry Month!
Glad to have you here.

As a prolific poet, and the author of eight books of verse to date, Poetry Month is every month for me. But, I am so thrilled to have a specifically designated time each year to recognize, honor, and give increased awareness to this art form. 

Just curious here. Any poets out there? 

Well, whether you write it or simply like to read it, this month I'll be featuring a few poems, possible interviews, and other info I hope you'll find interesting and informative.

Let's start off with a few selections that I have penned recently. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

 

A LOVE LETTER TO GOD

BY: JENNIFER BROWN BANKS

How do I love thee?

Let me count the days,

The ways--

I love thee

From the depths of my soul

From a heart 

That’s full 

And grateful,

Grateful for creature comforts

And blessings galore,

For gifts you’ve granted

I never asked for--

I love you for the beauty of nature

And children’s laughter,

For simple pleasures, 

Relationships I treasure,

For quiet times

We spend together--

I love how I feel your divine kiss

Whenever I listen to music

And experience its bliss,

I love you for wiping my tears

For calming my fears,

I love you Lord

 For always

Lingering near--


How do I love thee?

Let me count the days,

The ways--

I love you

For loving me

In my imperfection,

For your constant guidance

And protection

Without question,

I love you Lord


PARENTING IS LIKE BAKING A CAKE…




You take the best

Ingredients,

Combine, incorporate

With exacting measures,


Carefully

Follow directives,

Add

A heaping helping

Of love,


Mix,

Mold,

Hover over,


Say a silent prayer,

That your

Painstaking efforts

Will ultimately yield

Something

You can be

Proud of,


And hope

It rises



Thoughts?

Enjoy your day!

Image credits: Pixabay.com

4 comments:

  1. This is indeed your month, Jen, and you celebrate it so well! Love both of these poems! So glad you shared them with us. You truly are a wonderful poet.

    As for writing poetry, I wouldn't count myself among those of your caliber. I'm more the "write silly poems with grandkids" kind, if there even is such a category. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I'd like to add that I "celebrate" you for your faithful readership and regular input!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us, Jen. I enjoyed the messages of both poems, but the love letter touches my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marcie. Then I have done my job. :-)

    ReplyDelete