"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

I'm "Sweet on Chocolate" Writing Contest* It's Back!


With all the doom and gloom we have had to contend with this year, resulting from the current pandemic and racial tensions, I think it’s high time to lighten the mood and find something worthy to celebrate. My vote is for chocolate. How about you? 

In fact, chocolate and writers just go together. For many of us, it's the ultimate in "comfort food". It's as synonymous with scribes as donuts are with cops. :-) 

Interestingly enough, while doing research for writing ideas, I stumbled across some "trivia" that I thought was pretty sweet. Did you know that there is such a thing as National Chocolate Week? 

Yep. There really is. It's actually celebrated in the U.K. October 16th-October 22nd.

There are shows, events, tastings, and a whole lot of fun happenings. So, I thought I'd take the opportunity to celebrate it here at Pen and Prosper, with another "I'm Sweet on Chocolate" writing contest!

Pencils ready?

Here's your "mission," if you should choose to accept it:

1. All entries must be original and unpublished.

2. Send me a slogan, quote or poem that has to do with writers and chocolate.

3. Word count can not exceed 114 words, (let's keep things interesting, shall we)?

4. Submissions can be entered as "comments" through the Pen and Prosper site, or they can be emailed to me at Gemsjen@yahoo.com embedded in an email. Please, no attachments. 

5. Two winners will be chosen from entries received.

6. No entry fee required.

Prizes? 

Bragging rights. A badge to place on your site. Free Ebooks. And some form of chocolate mailed to you. It could be a book of chocolate recipes, a chocolate certificate, or real chocolate! And more! 

Details to follow...

Get in where you fit in! The deadline is October 22nd (in America...not in the U.K.).:-)

Good luck!

CHOCOLATE TRIVIA...DID YOU KNOW?



1). Chocolate produces serotonin, which reduces sensitivity to pain and promotes a feeling of well-being.

From Belleabouttown.com

2). An organic molecule in chocolate can help strengthen tooth enamel, according to research from Tulane University.

From Womenshealthmag.com

3). 87% of men consume chocolate, as compared to 91% of women.

From Mintel.com

4). Every Russian mission and American voyage has included chocolate bars.

From Lindtusa.com

5). Dark chocolate contains flavanoids, which is said to lower blood pressure.

From Womenshealthmag.com

6). The biggest bar of chocolate ever made weighed 5000 pounds!

From Lindtusa.com



Thoughts? Comments?

Image credits: Pixabay.com

11 comments:

  1. I'm on board with celebrating chocolate, that's for sure! :D I'm glad you're doing your part, Jen, to get this National Chocolate Week thing going here too. As a lover of chocolate (especially dark), I can claim the influence came from my birthplace being not far from Hershey, PA.

    I have company coming in a few days, but maybe I can squeak some contest writing in. It is for the sake of chocolate, after all. Thanks for giving us the chocolate facts and inspiration we all need. You're such a good friend and colleague. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. You are a divine blessing. :-) Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Dear Readers,
    This just in: Writers.com has offered to give 50% off of one of their classes to the winner! So, get those entries in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ENTRY # 1 RECEIVED...

    "Divine Chocolate. Writer's Treat. Indispensable Therapy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your participation (and for starting us off). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer. I was referred to your site by Linda O'Connell. I will attempt to write about chocolate for the contest orior to Oct. 22. Sounds like a "creamy and sweet" thing to write about! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Welcome, Susan. Thanks so much for joining us today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, I remember winninga chociolate contest. That was fun. Check out my blog https://lindaoconnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did indeed! Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Lin. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you Jennifer for creating an opportunity for us to celebrate
    this unique delicacy. I must confess that I used to have a sweet tooth.
    Just last year, I accidentally stumbled on the First Ugandan made chocolate- made from original beans from Uganda. My eye lit up as if I had won a lottery. Of course I went for the quality Dark chocolate packed with antioxidants essential for good health. As I fiercely typed away on the keyboard, I would pause to pop a piece in my mouth and as it melted, many happy memories of my childhood would come back to me. Someone somewhere said: " Books and chocolate make life bearable." It still holds true to me. Jane Nannono

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane,

    I appreciate your appreciation! Thanks for weighing in.

    ReplyDelete