"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Announcements and Updates for October 2020

 

Greetings, Readers!

Today's post will be brief, as a new week ushers in more projects, different priorities and preparation for upcoming holidays. I'm in the middle of some fall landscaping plans as well. I have a pretty spacious back yard and I am contemplating whether or not to have a fire pit built for toasting marshmallows, along with some other planting and trimming work. The pits always look like such fun on the Home Depot commercials. But, I digress...on to the announcements here.

HOW SWEET IT IS...

A special thanks to all of those who entered the "I'm Sweet on Chocolate" competition. I received comments on the blog; direct email entries; and even phone calls regarding participation.
After careful consideration, the winners have been declared as follows:
1st PLACE---SUSAN WICKER
2nd PLACE---KAREN LANGE

Please join me in congratulating these writers for a job well done.

HERE'S SUSAN'S ORIGINAL POEM






When the weather is dark, cold, and gray,
There's one sure  way to save the day.

                  Chocolate


There's magic in one single bar.
Its taste will, no doubt, take you far.

                 Chocolate


Creamy, yummy, and oh-so-sweet.
This elixir is more than a treat.

                 Chocolate


It makes all troubles melt away
It keeps worries and problems at bay.

                Chocolate


A nibble will make you want more.
A big bite goes straight to one's core.

                 Chocolate


Dark, semi-sweet or just milk,
It will go down the gullet like silk.

                  Chocolate


Keep a stash of bars in a drawer
You'll be ready when you really need more.

                  Chocolate


No one will know how you do it.
Keep happy, there's nothing to it.

                    Chocolate


At the end of the day, close your eyes,
Dream of tons of it filling the skies.

                      Chocolate


Susan and Karen can email me directly with their mailing addresses for the awarding of some sweet treats and prizes!

Special thanks also to Writers.com for contest collaboration. They are offering 50% off  for any writing class that Susan opts to take!



CORONA COLLABORATIONS?

As many of you are aware, Covid-19 has restricted and redefined how we as creative artists are able to connect with audiences, entertain, make money and expand our reach.
Still, we can't stop sharing our messages and touching the masses.
Accordingly, I am reaching out to fellow bloggers, publishers, freelancers, crafters who are interested in:

CO-SPONSORING CONTESTS
EXCHANGING GUEST POSTS
CONTRIBUTING RECIPES FOR A FUN NEW COOKBOOK I'M WRITING
DONATING BOOKS FOR GIVE-AWAYS (OR FUNDS) FOR CREATIVE PROJECTS
SERVING AS CONTEST JUDGES, ETC.
Because, "there is strength in numbers."
Interested parties can leave a comment here or email me at: Gemsjen@yahoo.com.
Thanks in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

BLIND BAT ALERT!

About two weeks ago, I unfortunately broke my reading glasses. What a bummer. I'm in the process of getting them replaced. In the interim, please forgive any typos in my blog posts.
When I can see better, I can do better. LOL

PEN & PROSPER WILL GO ON A BRIEF BREAK...

I will be out of the "blog building" from November 15th-December 15th.
Feel free to browse my current content (over 800 posts) and to leave periodic messages to stay in touch.
I always enjoy hearing from you.

Have a terrific Tuesday. Thanks for reading.


Thoughts?

Image credit: Pixabay.com
 

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Susan! I love her poem. So clever. She's definitely a chocolate "expert". :D And a wonderful writer!

    I was quite excited to see I won second place. I don't think I've ever won a contest like this, and to have the theme be about chocolate, well, that makes it even more terrific. Thank you, Jen!

    As for the fire pit, I say go for it! I've got marshmallows and the other s'mores ingredients here. Seriously, I do. So let me know when you install the fire pit. I can be there in about 5-6 hours, depending on traffic. Have a wonderful break. I hope you find it relaxing, rejuvenating, and all that you need it to be. You've earned it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Congrats, again! Look for that invitation soon. :-)
      And the tea is on me.

      Delete
  2. How exciting! I loved this contest, and Susan's poem is mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lin,
    I really dig your enthusiasm, dear. Wish that more folks were like you. :-) Susan's poem was a definite treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Karen, too. Chocolate is my worst temptation. I should have written about my vice. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just in from winner, Susan Wicker: "I couldn't believe my ears when Linda O'Connell told me I won first place in the contest! Holy chocolate candy bars! That was a SHOCKER.

    Thank you so much for the opportunity to write that poem."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats again, Susan! Your poem was rich and satisfying. :-)

    ReplyDelete