"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, September 25, 2020

I've Got the Spirit! This Just in From Chicago Writers


In many ways my Wednesday was a typical "hump day."  I did my usual "rise and shine" about 6:00 a.m., got cleaned up, brewed some hot herbal tea, and mentally prepared to tackle a "to-do" list as long as a bride's wedding gown train!

Worked on clients' projects; prepared and published my 823rd blog post; struggled with computer glitches; and attempted to navigate my way through new content management system changes imposed by Blogger.

Hours in, I decided to take a much needed break. I kicked back, watched a little of the boob tube and then returned to my computer. At about 12:43 p.m. I received an unexpected email from the President of Chicago Writers Association that read the following:

"Dear Jennifer,

I am writing to you with the news that you have been selected as the recipient of CWA's Spirit Award for 2020. I nominated you, and the Board unanimously endorsed your selection. We hope you will be able to join us for our virtual Book of the Year ceremony, which will be held via Zoom at 7 pm on Saturday, January 16.
I couldn't think of a more deserving recipient."

What? Who? I was elated... temporarily in disbelief! In fact, I had to read the email multiple times before it would fully "sink in." This is a big deal to me, folks. And I am totally humbled and grateful for this prestigious award.

The SPIRIT AWARD honors individuals in the literary community that demonstrate:

You can read more here:

https://www.chicagowrites.org/spirit_award

Past honorees include: a book store owner, the executive director of the Chicago Hall of Fame and a publisher. I'm geeked to be in such highly-regarded company.  

This has been a tough year. For all of us. And this recognition certainly has given me reason to smile, keep going, and continue to be rooted in divine faith. 

My heartfelt appreciation to Chicago Writers Association (a great group of quality people) and all of you who have supported my journey, followed my blog and cheered me on throughout the years!

 ... Now I just have to get busy trying to find something black and slimming to wear for that virtual ceremony. It's rumored that the camera adds 10 lbs.!  :-)

Thanks for reading.


Image credits: Pixabay.com

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well deserved.
    Keep moving forward, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jen! What an honor, and very well deserved. So happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed. I'm tickled pink! :-)
      Thanks for sharing in my joy, friend. :-)

      Delete
  3. How exciting. So often, contributions go unrewarded. So nice to see someone getting the praise they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I agree. And many times it takes "so little" to mean "so much." I appreciate your support.

      Delete
  4. Three cheers for you, Jen. You go above and beyond to provide content for writers, and your blog encompasses all of the attributes for which the honor was bestowed. So proud of you! Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,
      How nice of you. Trust me, it's friends and readers like you who keep me motivated! Thanks for being a constant cheerleader and commenting regularly. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Jen -

    Congratulations! A wonderful honor!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,

      So good to hear from you! Thanks for joining the celebration. :-)

      Delete
  6. Jennifer, I enjoy when you share good news of such achievements. You're a hardworking and talented writer. Congratulations. You deserve this award AND many more. Write on sister. Proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henry,
      I love having good news to share! LOL
      Thanks so much for your kind comment and time. Stay strong and keep creating..."Renaissance Man." :-)

      Delete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS! This makes me so happy for you. I could almost throw confetti, if I had some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you! Your comment made me smile. :-)
      Thanks, Quietspirit.
      Hope all is well in your corner of the world. Take care, dear.

      Delete