"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tips to Maintain Sanity During Covid-19 Quarantine





Like many of you, I freelance at home, so my everyday life hasn’t been turned upside down quite like those employed elsewhere. I’m an introvert, a homebody, and I relish alone time to work and recharge. Still, I was feeling rather hemmed in amid "stay at home" mandates. Finding myself mentally scattered and having issues concentrating as well.  
I knew that I needed to come to grips with the current situation. Though it’s temporary, the uncertainty of the timeline for the pandemic is frustrating, and something I cannot control. So, on a day when I was particularly aggravated, I made a list of things that I CAN control. It’s my choice to choose to focus on positive action steps rather than the negative. And you can too. 
I call it my “Give and Take” action plan. It looks like this:
Give Your Mind a Rest
If you’re like me, your mind can go nearly 24/7. It’s good to take a mental break from work, family and other obligations, and the pressures of life. I love to read, so I chill by immersing myself in a book by a favorite author. It’s nice to get swept up into a story for a reprieve from current events. I’ve found that reading helps redirect my thoughts and clear confusion out of my head. It’s a mini vacation, of sorts.
Another thing that offers a break from the norm is playing games. Nothing too heady, of course, just a diversion for a different kind of mental recreation. For example, I’m a Tetris fan, and enjoy games of that nature. I’ve an app on my tablet that’s fun and just challenging enough to keep me on my toes. In a good way.
Take a Class
Do you like to learn new things? Me too! Learning something new or improving a skill helps one feel productive and purposeful. It’s energizing – lending a bigger scope of possibilities for the future. I’ve been taking advantage of the many offerings available such as free webinars, classes, and subscriptions that are popping up in every field.
Though we’re largely stuck at home, it’s a wonderful time to build or stretch skills, start a new side gig, and keep our brains sharp. We’re missing out if we don’t check out at least one or two. At the very least, it’ll complement our resumes and help offer increased value to our business and future clients. Here's a resource to get you started: https://www.lifehack.org/free-classes
Give unto Others
I don’t know about you, but working at home keeps me in my head. Too much. Especially now. So I make a conscious effort to reach out to others, especially in times like these. I have a running list of people I write to, ones who are shut in, or in a nursing home, or who otherwise come to mind through the week. A letter writer from the time I was young, I keep note cards on hand anyway, so I jot a few lines saying hello and that I’m thinking of them.
A quick phone call or text to touch base with family or friends is another way I stay connected. It’s always nice when someone reaches out to me, so I figure we can all use a little encouragement, especially on a tough day. Everyone is feeling the effects of this situation and can use a bit of properly social distanced TLC.

Take Time to Count Your Blessings
In late January, I started a thankful journal. I’d seen the idea online, encouraging people to daily record a list of things for which they are thankful. It suggested keeping the journal for at least 21 days to build a habit of gratitude. You know what? It works. I have a better consciousness of the blessings in my life big and small. So I’ve made sure to keep this habit going now, even if I skip a day here and there. It slows down my thinking processes, helping to regroup mentally and find a fresh perspective.
Along these lines, I aim to be more joyful. I find strength from my faith, and make a conscious choice each day to focus on a positive mindset. I also keep a mental log of things that bring me joy, like the funny things my grandsons say, and the love from my husband and adult kids. Choosing to dwell on these things boosts and refreshes my outlook.

Give Yourself Fresh Air, Sunshine, & Exercise
There’s nothing like a good dose of the outdoors to clear out the mental cobwebs. Getting fresh air and sunshine reaps big benefits. Fresh air increases the body’s oxygen levels and cell efficiency, contributing to better health and mental clarity. Vitamin D from the sun helps the body convert calcium into healthy, strong bones and aids in resistance to harmful germs and bacteria. Exercise, such as walking, boosts the immune system, relieves stress, improves neurological function, and improves sleep.
I get outside and walk as much as possible, for exercise and to enjoy the evidence of spring that’s popping out everywhere. It’s invigorating! It reminds me that there is life beyond the walls of my home. Even if your outside space is small, there are creative ways to get out and move. Short laps in the yard, a brisk walk around the neighborhood, or a trek across a deserted parking lot offer safe and refreshing opportunities to stretch and soak up the sun.
This “Give and Take’ plan has empowered and encouraged me in these challenging times. It keeps my head in the game, lending sanity and perspective, and enables me to be there for others. May you be strong, productive, and safe in the days ahead. 


Karen Lange is a freelance writer, editor, and virtual assistant. She’s a big fan of dark chocolate, ice hockey, and her two fabulous grandsons. 
Stop by and see her on LinkedIn or visit her blog at https://karenelange.blogspot. com/.








Image credit: Pixabay.com

Comments? Any Corona coping tips? Do tell. 

13 comments:

  1. Karen's post is a reminder to take are of ourselves and do as little or as much as we can handle at the moment. I find reading centers me. Although I did participate in a weekday short poem writing prompt for the month of April. Wishing everyone peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, glad this struck a chord with you. Also glad to hear how you're doing, and how reading helps, amen to that! :) Take care.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so kindly, Lin. I sure wish I could have participated in the weekday poetry project. I find that during these times music, blogging and prayer mellows me out and offers simple pleasures to calm the madness of these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of Charles Dickens "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times..."

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for hosting me here, Jen. It's an honor and a privilege to share your space and address your readers. Looking forward to hearing how they're faring these days. May we have peace and be encouraged as we move forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      Always a pleasure to have you share with my readers. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Unlike many people, my job requires me to be in the office Monday - Friday. Most of our staff is working from home. There's much satisfaction in helping them accomplish tasks - printing something out and emailing it, handling a customer request, etc. The side benefit is less stress with fewer people around. Normally, our workplace is a veritable beehive of activity. It's given my brain and my body a much-needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for coming over to read the post! So glad your stress level is a bit less through all this. I know you have a lot on your plate in normal circumstances. :) Take care!

      Delete
  5. My shelter-in-place time began on March 2. I fell and did damage to my left foot and ankle. I wore a medical boot until April 20. My ortho appts have been cancelled for two months. I did get out of the house to go shopping for some necessary items yesterday. Most of my writing has been journaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecelia,

      So sorry to hear about your fall. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery. Keep journaling...

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear about your foot, Cecelia! Glad you're able to get out a little now. Appreciate you stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. On my travel blog I created a Post about creating your vacation at home, a Staycation. and on our Twitter we created a Twitter-Poll asking about favorite activities in Corona-time.

    The Poll already got retweets, and we already did get some responses,

    It would be great to see your responses aswell.

    (You can easily find our Twitter page in de Side Bars
    on my Blog(s))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP, Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your blog. Have been off the radar and haven't visited in a while. Appreciate your thoughts. :) Take care!

      Delete