"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, January 5, 2020

How Not to Lose Your Footing in the Freelance Dance


A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of tuning in to a new dating series on the "boob tube." It gave a new "spin" on the reality TV shows purposed to find love for today's singles.
It's appropriately called "Flirty Dancing" and it appears on Channel 32.
The basic premise is that when two people (the ones on this show are pre-screened and matched up according to the individual's profile ) connect on the dance floor, they can find chemistry, attraction and a foundation for a relationship. The men and women on the show are not professional dancers, nor are they allowed to speak at all during their time on the dance floor.
Their bodies must do all the talking.
For those interested, you can learn more here:
https://www.fox.com/flirty-dancing/

It's gotten mixed reviews so far; but I think it's rather entertaining, innovative and interesting. I'm definitely a fan.
After viewing the last episode, I thought about how similar dancing is to freelance writing.
There are many parallels I find in these two pursuits. Read on and see if you agree.

HERE ARE SOME TAKE-AWAYS TO CONSIDER





GOOD FOOTING HELPS


The freelance "dance" typically starts with the initial contact with a potential client. This is where we try to make a good impression, start off on "good footing" and determine our future routine. The dance can either be hectic or graceful. And we must know how to properly exit, if we assess that the partnership will involve a lot of stumbling and injured toes. Here's a case in point. Some time ago, I was contacted by a company that wanted to hire me to write website content for their clothing line (based upon my online portfolio).
To protect their privacy, I won't go into great detail here.
Initially I was very excited; I took a look at their brand, business model and online reviews, and they seemed like a reputable, profitable company.
They asked for a proposal and price quotes. I submitted the requested information shortly thereafter.
Then we transitioned to the "Tango." Whenever I would seemingly move forward, they would take two steps back. They'd ask a question; I would answer. Then they would need more info.
Then they would need guarantees and promises and answers to "what if" scenarios. I would move in one direction, they would go in the opposite.
After exchanging almost twenty emails that caused needless exhaustion and that restricted my movement, I simply retired my dance shoes. I stopped responding to their emails. If it happens to you, I would suggest the same. Remember, "time is money."

ALWAYS KNOW WHEN TO LEAD AND WHEN TO FOLLOW

 
A creative partnership, (much like ones on the dance floor) requires that we have a situational awareness of when to lead and when to follow. I have been blessed in my career to work with an array of clients in myriad industries and levels. They have ranged from aspiring writers to highly credentialed professionals with advanced degrees. I find that the most successful partnerings are typically those where there is a mutual exchange of ideas. A union that allows me to contribute suggestions and strategies based upon my skill set, passion, experience and expertise areas.
Some clients factor this in and some don't. Which is why it's crucial for freelancers to know when to talk and when to listen. When to offer advice and when to simply take direction. Which leads us to the significance of chemistry.

GOOD CHEMISTRY IS CRUCIAL FOR LONG TERM SUCCESS


Have you ever had a client or collaborative project that just felt right? You know: one in which you both had similar "moves". There was a good balance of yin and yang, good rhythm. No doubt, the "dance" was magical.
To assess potential "chemistry" it's always a good idea to do some pre-screening; whether it's in an  onboarding session or a Skype meeting. The more you can find out and filter through the greater the chances to stay in sync.




SLIPS, STUMBLES AND FALLS ARE INEVITABLE


When you slip, (miss a deadline or publish an article with an incorrect stat or attribution) or fall (lose a client or receive a harsh rejection from an editor) don't let it floor you. Learn the lesson and move forward. In the words of singer Gloria Estefan: "Get on your feet and make it happen."


EVEN "NATURAL ABILITY" CAN BE ENHANCED BY PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND LESSONS


This year, why not sign up for online classes in a new genre or concentration? Or attend a writers' conference with credentialed experts and noted authors? Investing in yourself always yields a future return.


A wise man once said: "Take more chances. Dance more dances."
Words to live by.
Wouldn't you agree?


Image credits: Pixabay.com

10 comments:

  1. "Take more chances...", yes, I do agree! Planning on doing this very thing with my freelance writing in 2020. Appreciate the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Make this your "Year of Yes!" You certainly deserve it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Step to the left... step to the right... cheers to your freelance insight. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen. Happy New Year! I love this post. Thanks for pointing out the similarities between freelancing and dancing. I like how you always share not only the highlights of your writing career, but also some of the challenges and mis-steps that can help others avoid them and grow. It has been a while since I commented, but I look forward to stopping by more frequently in 2020. May all your writing endeavors flourish this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a blast from the past! Hi there, Yasmin.
    How have you been? Thanks so much for chiming in here. I look forward to getting more of your feedback in 2020.
    Keep me posted on your projects and progress...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed at all the similarities between dancing and writing.
    May this be the year when I get to dance until last call.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ingmar,
    Wishing you so much joy and success this year 'til you'll be "dancin on the ceiling!" (In the words of Lionel Richie). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great analogies. I like the paragraph Learn when to lead and when to follow. That is an absolute must. The big head has destroyed many relationships. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How true. The BIG HEAD is a dread. :-) Thanks so much Lin.
    Always a pleasure to have you here.

    ReplyDelete