"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Saturday, October 26, 2019

8Qs With Author & Trainer Dr. Marlene Caroselli



Thank you for joining us today, Marlene. We appreciate your time, creative input and expertise here at Pen and Prosper.

Q Can you tell readers a little about your background and how you began your career as a writer?

 I began my career as an English teacher; so, the love of words was a given. When one of my students asked—in all seriousness—“Was General Electric an American?” I knew I had an article to write. An educational journal accepted it, my first published piece. When I left high school teaching and began adjuncting at UCLA and National University (which led to teaching in corporate America), I began submitting curricula I’d written to publishers. My first query, to HRD Press, was based on a course I was teaching. It examined the language used by prominent individuals in various walks of life. The Language of Leadership was my first book and was actually chosen a main selection by a major book club.

Q What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

I love the creativity of it all, the ability to string ideas together into a cohesive whole. Picasso once asked, “Why do two colors, placed side by side, sing?” I like exploring the corollary, “Why do two words (or phrases or sentences), placed side by side, sing?” The songs fascinate me on a daily basis.
Everyone has a story and I love uncovering, via words, the wonderful anecdotes and experiences they may never have shared before. For example, in the pool yesterday,

A young man and I began chatting. I asked him if it was a job that had brought him to my home town.“No,” he explained, “I run for a living.” “I run for a living”! Are you not intrigued by the story behind those words? His parents had apparently invested a quarter of a million dollars in his education, planning to see him become an electrical engineer.
But, he gave it all up because…..he only wants to run.

His story is not unlike Kris Kristofferson’s. (I’ve been watching Ken Burns’ documentary on country music.) His background is peppered with words like “summa cum laude,” “Phi Beta Kappa,”Rhodes scholar,” “Oxford University,” “Army captain,” “helicopter pilot,” “West Point instructor.” But, like the runner above, another force was moving him away from what he was “supposed” to be and moving him toward an unlikely choice. In Kristofferson’s case, music was his singular love. He gave up a promising military career and became a janitor in Nashville. His parents disowned him.
Events conspire for writers. And the intersection of the swimmer and the janitor is an article atop my pile of others waiting to be written.

Q. What challenges you the most about it?

For me, the challenge is finding time. I’m semi-retired and don’t get things done as quickly as I once did.

Q. What would it surprise others to know about you?

I’ve discovered my artwork sells, mostly at charity fundraisers. I’m really not that talented, but I include quotations with my drawings and I think the combination attracts buyers.

Q. If you could have one literary “super power”what would it be?



I wish I could write fiction as easily as I write non-fiction—specifically, the “soft side” of business. For 20 years, while working six days a week as a corporate trainer, I averaged three books a year. When I tried writing a fictionalized memoir to honor my father, I found I struggled with single every word. I was pleased with the end result, but what a struggle it turned out to be.

Q. What are your thoughts on blogging and social media---do you feel it’s a necessity these days?

It may not be a necessity for all, but it is a necessity for all writers, I believe. The publishing protocol has changed radically since I wrote my first book. Then, publishers marketed. Now, publishers expect writers to share a large part of the marketing burden. Many care more about your following than your manuscript…at least initially. To illustrate, I recently sent a query to a publisher, in which I described a book I wanted to write. Instead of asking for further details, they asked how large was my social media following. My following? I don’t even have a cell phone! I’ve never tweeted or twittered. “Hashtag” sounds like a note I might make to shop for breakfast food. I don’t do Facebook or Linked In. Needless to say, I have no following, but would encourage younger writers to build theirs. The age of electronics has passed me by.

Q. I see you’ve written several books on leadership and business. What one piece of advice can you share with us on managing our freelance businesses more profitably?

Nearly every city has a SCORE group…Service Corps of Retired Executives. They can provide excellent (and free) advice for growing one’s business. If your city doesn’t have such a group, read about other entrepreneurs and the methods they have used to expand their client list. Or, how other writers have managed to develop a cadre of devoted readers.
 
Q. Any suggestions on how today’s writer can build a “platform” solid enough to garner publication by a traditional publisher, given such fierce competition?

Making your presence known is the best thing you can do. As mentioned before, you need to build your social media following. You can also make appearances at bookstores or writers groups. When I spoke at a large secretarial conference years ago, I subsequently sold hundreds of my book The Quality Secretary. Call local radio and television stations and tell them you’d like to be interviewed. (Be sure to prepare a really good hook.) Contact your local newspaper, especially if your book coincides with local or national events. Blog everywhere you can. Write articles in national publications. Include a business card that promotes your book in every bill you pay, every letter that leaves your house and heads to the post office. Build a network, attend networking events, and hand out your book/business card. Have an elevator speech ready for chance encounters.


AUTHOR BIO:

MARLENE CAROSELLI



After earning her doctorate in education at the University of Rochester, Marlene Caroselli left the public classroom and her native New York State in 1980 and headed to the West Coast. She soon began working as a manager for Trizec Properties, Inc. and as an adjunct professor for UCLA and National University. (She has also conducted programs for Clemson University, University of Rochester, Michigan State University, and Southwest Missouri State University.) Her university work led to training contracts with the Department of Defense and with such Fortune 100 firms as Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, TRW, Hughes Aircraft, and Allied-Signal.

In 1984, she founded the Center for Professional Development and began adding books to her list of professional achievements. Her first book, The Language of Leadership, was chosen a main selection by Newbridge's Executive Development book club. Since that publication, she has written fifty-four additional books. (See Amazon.com.) A recent book, Principled Persuasion: Influence with Integrity, Sell with Standards, was named a Director's Choice by Doubleday Book Club. Her latest book, One-to-One for Managers, has been selected by Barnes and Noble for an on-line course.

In addition to books, Dr. Caroselli writes frequently for Stephen Covey's Executive Excellence, for Lakewood’s many LPR publications, and for the National Business Employment Weekly, as well as for numerous other print and electronic publications.



Image credits: Pixabay.com



10 comments:

  1. wow! I love this. A woman of a certain age (mine) has been successful despite a lack of social media exposure. This was very interesting. determination pays off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. Thanks for your feedback, Lin!

      Delete
    2. Linda, keep on keeping on, as they say. And, in terms of a writer's age, I'd like to quote the baseball great LeRoy Satchel Paige: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter." Many writers older than middle age are wonderfully successful, even if they don't possess the technical skills those young 'uns have.

      Delete
  2. Great interview. Love the line about how words sing when place together. Another reason to read your work aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingmar, you will hear the words singing when you've chosen the right one. And, the next time you real aloud, try to have an audience there to listen, even if it's only an audience of one.

      Delete
  3. I dig that line too. Appreciate hearing from you on this, Ingmar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! It's nice to meet Marlene. I enjoyed her insight and appreciate the wisdom and experience she shared. Thanks, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Kahlil Gibran once said that "in the dew of little things, the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." It's evening here now,. but your kind words refreshed me nonetheless. You, too have wisdom and experience from which your readers will benefit.

      Delete
  5. A special thanks to Dr. Marlene for sharing her time and words of wisdom here.

    ReplyDelete