"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, September 17, 2018

4 Reasons Video Blogging May Not Be 4 Everyone

 

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION...!


In an effort to diversify content, expand readership and increase their online rankings, some bloggers have opted to add videos to their site's offerings.

Theoretically, it seems like a smart, progressive idea. Videos add visual variety, help to establish a more personal connection with readers, and are great for instructional type posts.
But before you take that camera out, be forewarned: just because something is "recommended" doesn't mean that you should necessarily try it or buy it.

Are you with me here?
You should always take into consideration whether it suits you, your goals and your personal strengths.
Of course it goes without saying, I am providing this "public service message" not to be critical, but to be a partner in your blogging success.

Here's a little back story to today's post...

Some time ago, upon visiting one of the blogs I regularly follow, I was surprised to discover that this particular scribe had added YouTube videos for viewing.
I was impressed with her courage to venture into new territory and her desire to try something different.  But a few minutes in, let's just say I was a little less "impressed."
The reasons?
There were a lot of background distractions in the presentation; she looked a bit uncomfortable; and her wording was awkward and poorly paced at times.

This convinced me that perhaps video blogging (a.k.a. Vlogging) is not the best medium of expression for everyone. And that's perfectly fine.

In the book 62 Blog Posts to Overcome Bloggers Block, author Marcie Hill shares: "Although multi-media posts are a great way to diversify your content and engage your readers, they are time consuming to create and editing can eat up loads of time depending on your editing skill level and the type of media you use."


ACCORDINGLY, HERE ARE SOME THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE YOU COMMIT:





  • THE "UMM" SYNDROME
Remember the blogger I mentioned earlier in today's post?  I counted about 15 times where she stated "umm" in a 5-minute video. Truth is, most of us use "fillers," personal phrases and casual expressions when we're speaking that we're not always conscious of.  Videos tend to highlight these flaws and can sometimes come across as a little less eloquent. I should also point out that if your blog is recreational in nature, intended to be humorous, or to be shared merely with family and friends, then your strategy and content can be less "formal." Have at it!
  • TECHNICAL GLITCHES AND POOR SOUND QUALITY
Good video presentations hinge upon an array of factors: technical ability, comfort in front of a camera, content, sound quality and loading time. At some blogs I've visited, I have experienced long wait times for the post to display, poor audio, and other drawbacks and mishaps. This can be counter-productive.  "Can you hear me now?" :-)

  • BACKGROUND DISTRACTIONS AND NOISES
Unless you're in a "controlled space," sometimes it's hard to predict and manage background noises from pets, children, neighbors, phones ringing, etc. This is something to keep in mind moving forward.

  • LEVEL OF COMFORT IN FRONT OF A CAMERA
Let's face it: not everyone is "camera confident."  I certainly am not.  How about you?
With textual blogging, conversely,  there's no penalty for bad hair days, shyness, awkward pauses, and brain freezes.


In closing...


There are advantages and disadvantages to video blogging.  The best way to approach it, for optimal success is to practice, start small, and whenever possible, get assistance. Mastery takes time.
For informational purposes, here's an interesting online article that addresses many pros and cons of video blogging:
https://www.atlargeinc.com/insights/pros-and-cons-vlogging-video-blogging

Hopefully today's post will help you to make a more informed decision in the future.
Here's to your success!


Thoughts? Comments?  Any experience here?


Image credit: Pixabay.com

11 comments:

  1. Jennifer: I doubt I will ever video blog because 1.)the cameras don't always like me. and 2.) The "umm" factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly relate. Lol
      Thanks so much for stopping by today. Always a pleasure to connect with you here.

      Delete
  2. Your post validates many reasons why I chose to say NO to a video presentation. Much rather do face-to-face. Thanks for always being spot on with your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      Thank you for always being an inspiration. Readers like you keep me going.
      Keep it coming ;)

      Delete
  3. Well see, this is why I direct my efforts elsewhere. This type of blogging is just not my cup of tea. Glad you shared this, Jen. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    Then I consider myself in good company.;-)
    Much appreciation for adding to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for mentioning my book, Jennifer. This was a pleasant surprise. I started doing video interviews on my YT channel because I love interviewing. To address the four challenges you mentioned.

    My filler words have been reduced through Toastmasters training. Also, tech glitches are a beast and can be a hassle if you're not tech savvy. You always need a plan B. Yes, try to manage distractions as much as possible. As for comfort level, I find that I swivel in my chair a lot and I'm working on that.

    Someone told me that my first few videos are going to suck and that helped me move forward with my interviews. I'm on a mission to get better with each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make some good points here. And practice makes for greater success. I applaud your efforts.

      Delete
  6. Marcie,

    Believe it or not, I mention your book often. I just don't always remember to send the links with my busy schedule. I will let you know about the mention in an upcoming interview slated to be published soon. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with your assessment. I started finding my own videos annoying and/or boring. So I started studying other peoples'. I get a script and an idea all played out in my head and then I try it out. By the time I've finished editing and got to posting it I've either totally dumped it or it took so long that I am no longer excited about it.

    The upside is that I am getting more comfortable in front of the camera (I keep practicing). I am getting better with the editing process and am more satisfied with my vids. Maybe I'll even start posting them again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mrsd,
    I'm glad to hear from you on this. I applaud the fact that you were able to look at your video experience objectively and work toward improvement. Not everyone does.
    Keep me posted. I'd love to see how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete