"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, March 15, 2018

A Tisket, A Tasket a Doctor and a Basket!


Last December, after much consideration, I decided to do something nice for my doctor.
I know, I know...it sounds kind of strange; especially when many are already overpaid and sometimes have questionable practices. But hear me out here.

While most folks dread going to the doctor due to all the prodding, probing, pain and impersonal treatment, my experience over the last few years has been different.

Besides being "easy on the eyes" my physician is funny, warm, patient and compassionate.
Dr. "P" has a great bedside manner and a very calming effect.
In many ways, he is his own form of medicine.


Because of this, I wanted to convey my respect and regard for him.
But, allow me to digress a bit here.
Last year, when my brother died it hit me like a ton of bricks.  His unexpected and untimely death left an emptiness I can't explain.
It also taught me to give folks their flowers while they are living.

I never really got the opportunity to tell my brother how much of an impact he had on me in my development as a woman and now I never will.
But I CAN do better in sharing warm, wonderful thoughts and gestures with others (in the spirit of what his death taught me).

Fast forward...

90 days after my initial doctor's visit, I needed to come in again for a routine screening.
Busy, as usual, he was training two of his assistants and sharing some procedural info.
Then all of a sudden he pulled out his cell phone. Which was strange for him.
With a wide grin he said to them: "Guess what someone did for me for Christmas?"

Dr. "P" then went on to show images of the Xmas basket I had given him with his colleagues.
He told me that he was so excited he took pictures and shared it with just about everybody!
He let me know that in 10 years of being there, no one had ever given him a gift before.
He was clearly touched.
Go figure.
Here's a man who earns a six-figure salary who was moved by my small gesture of kindness.

The moral of the story here?
Small acts, kind words matter.
In a day and age where we have so many horrific things happening (many of which we have no control) we can CHOOSE kindness.

Truth is, we just never know what issues, insecurities or burdens somebody is dealing with, that  perhaps could be ameliorated simply by something positive we say or do.
And it takes so little to mean so much.

As writers there's even more.
We have the opportunity and platforms to promote good; inspire change; combat stereotypes; champion worthy causes; to widen the "lens" by which others see the world.
We can and we must use our "powers" for good.

In fact, there's an organization and a movement dedicated to random acts of Kindness.
Read more here:

https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/

If you're on board, here are some

SMALL ACTS OF KINDNESS YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER:



  • Give a compliment.

  • Volunteer.

  • Donate to a charity.

  • Make a blog comment.

  • Forgive a grudge.

  • Refrain from gossip.

  • Share the gospel to give hope.

  • Start a "GO FUND ME" page for someone in need.

  • Run errands for someone elderly.

  • Be a mentor.

  • Give benefit of the doubt.

  • Be a beacon.

  • Attend a book signing for a local author.

  • Listen attentively.

  • Spend more time with friends and family.

  • Let someone else have the spotlight.

  • Make someone a meal.

  • Be less critical of others.

  • Share laughter.

Get the idea here?
Here's my small part, a starting point.

Won't you join me?



Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

NOTE: I'm releasing this post early so I can "pencil" in a possible vacation soon.:-)







17 comments:

  1. Your points of kindness are well taken. We often do not realize what a difference the little things make. When I taught, I did a Random Acts of Kindness bulletin board. Students and faculty stopped to read, and I hope pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a kind gesture for your doctor dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer - so right and it's wonderful he rightly was so pleased to get your basket - a little thanks goes a long way. Kindness is an essential in life - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary,
      Kindness makes the world a better place. Thanks for being kind enough to drop by and leave a comment.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Well said! And yes, I agree. We never know how an act of kindness, large or small, can impact someone's day, week, or life. It benefits us as well, because sometimes we need to ficus on others to get our minds off our challenges. Glad you shared this, Jen. Hope you get to take that vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      You make a good point here.
      Givers benefit as much as those who receive it.
      Thanks for your thoughts.
      Much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. The bulletin board was a great idea, Lin. Thanks so much for sharing. Nice to hear from you on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jen. You are a woman after my own heart. There's nothing like an unexpected gesture to make someone feel appreciated. One year I sent one of my autumn boxes to my sister in California with treats in it for her grandchildren whose life situation is not very good. They were 4 and 6. When it arrived I got a phone call that I could hardly understand - two little kids screaming "Thank you Aunt Sue!!!" and whooping for joy. I almost cried. Keep up the good deeds, my friend. It makes the world so much better a place. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.

      Even placing a brief blog comment has merit.

      Delete
    2. Sue,

      I should have read your comment a little slower. Lol
      Turns out you're a great grandma and awesome aunt, too.

      Delete
  7. Sue,
    You make a "grand" grandma, dear.
    Kind gestures warm the heart.
    I remember some time ago when one of my loyal blog readers sent me a journal all the way from Kentucky. I felt so appreciated.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    I miss you when you're absent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get crazy busy and don't get to my favorite blogs. Trying to pen a new novel among myriad other things. Will do better. Promise. =0)

      Delete
  8. How exciting, Sue! Please keep us posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so easy for all of us to carry on with our day and move on to the next drama in our lives. Your thoughts are a prime example how important it is to put on the brakes and give thanks.

    You are correct when you say we don't know the battles people are fighting. Sometimes a kind gesture is all it takes to give a person a victory.

    As always, excellent thoughts on your end.

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, I love to get your view. Thanks much for adding to the mix, Bryan.

      Delete
  10. Jen, thanks for reminding us about the power of kindness. I like the quote that says "In a world where we can be anything, be kind". I like the suggestions you have for random acts of kindness. Enjoy your vacation.Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yasmin,
    Thanks for sharing that beautiful quote. I appreciate your time and input. Be well.

    ReplyDelete