"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wading Through the Storms of Life, to Write!


It's a mess in the Midwest.
And frankly, it's messing with my muse.
Over the last few weeks here, we've had to contend with floods, violent storms, tornado watches and rain as relentless as a telemarketer on commission.

Don't get me wrong; other areas have had it worse. And I thank God that my basement hasn't flooded and that my life hasn't been dismantled.

Still, stormy weather is a buzz-kill that saps my concentration and creativity. I'm not talking about the occasional rain, but the heavy stuff, day after day.
Or to put it another way, it "grounds" my get-up and-go!
Instead of being my typical energetic self, I feel like crawling under the covers and waiting it out.

And did I mention that I'm just days away from throwing my annual backyard barbeque and birthday party?
Unfortunately, it looks like down pour might be on the "menu."

But, recently, I had an epiphany. And I am in a better place, as a result of it. It dawned on me that the weather is like a metaphor for life. For our creative careers, even.
We must muddle through. Persevere. Learn to weather the storms.
Why?
Because rain often fosters growth--figuratively and literally. And there's no escaping it.
Wouldn't you agree?

So, here's what I've learned as I look forward to brighter days ahead...

1. Storms come in many forms.
We lose a major client. A computer with our important files gets infected with a virus. A loved one gets sick. Someone you love stops loving you. An editor sends a stinging rejection.  Have a pity party. Pray. Eat some chocolate. Have a glass of Vino. Then get back in the game. Write in your journal. Write a letter to a far-away friend. Do a little at a time. Take baby steps. In the words of Annie, "The sun will come out tomorrow."

2. Look on the bright side.
Things could almost always be worse. Are you healthy? Have a roof over your head? Food on the table? Clothes on your back? Then you're batting a thousand, my friend.

3. Bask in the "warmth" of cherished friends and nurturing relationships.
Good ones are like Vitamin C, bringing sunshine in our lives and contributing to our enhanced health.

4. Shift happens!
Recognize that there are some things of which we simply have no control. Whenever possible, go with the flow. It's better for your health.

5. Have a Plan "B".
Back up those important files. Create blog posts a few weeks in advance. Complete clients' assignments before deadline. Smart planning can sometimes minimize the "storm's" saturation.


Ill leave you with these thoughts, as I leave to take a brief break from Pen and Prosper, for some needed rest and rejuvenation.
Let's reconnect on or around July 1st. Shall we?
Feel free to leave comments and questions in the interim.
You know I love to hear from you. :-)

Wishing you love, laughter, and sunshine!

Warmly,

Jen





7 comments:

  1. Your words were salve to my soul as I wrap up my last school year, deal with incessant rain, and receive a nice rejection today. You're preaching to the choir, but it is good to hear uplifting messages.Enjoy your time off. Happy birthday great lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin,

      No doubt you'll be truly missed as you make your transition from school life. I wish you the best in whatever you embark upon. Thanks so much! :-)

      Delete
  2. Ah, what a wonderful reality check! I was just thinking yesterday (regarding a personal challenge) that giving up is not an option, and pressing forward is a must. Stay in the game, keep a good perspective, and move ahead - the benefits far outweigh the alternative. Very timely, thank you.

    Have a wonderful break and a lovely Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      You'll make it through. Better to be a winner, than to be a whiner, right? LOL My prayers are with you, dear one. :-)

      Delete
  3. I сonstantly spent mʏ half an hoսr to read this website's articlds every
    daay ɑlong wіtɦ a mug of coffee.

    Мү web-site; lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this timely post. Going through a depressing bit myself. Thanks for the reminder we all get stormed on and especially for the laugh . . ."like a telemarketer on commission!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I know there are sunnier days ahead for you; keep the faith! :-)

      Delete