April is designated as National Poetry Month. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!" Though I have contributed my writing talents and expressions to an array of literary genres, poetry is my first love. I was "romanced" by it since way back in my teen years. Some of my poetic pieces have actually won contests and found their way into books and anthology projects.
Which is why I'm excited to share my love of poetry during National Poetry Month.
Here's what I really dig about poetry: it's powerful, succinct and unique. Poetry has "swagger!"
I also appreciate that it' s free from some of the dictates, rules and conditions as other types of writing.
Here are 7 Simple, but fun ways you can embrace its magic and get in on the celebration!
1. Pen a romantic poem for your significant other.
2. Participate in or support a "spoken word" event in your area.
3. Visit your local library and pick up a few titles from noted poets and check out their "vibe." Some good choices are: Maya Angelou, Sonia Sanchez, Peter McWilliams, Robert Frost, and Elizabeth Barrett-Browning.
4. If you're a poet, share some of your work here at Pen and Prosper. Interested in being featured? Please get in touch.
5. Post your favorite poet's work on your blog with a Bio.
6. If you're a teacher, or parent of young ones, expose them to different forms of poetry such as Acrostic Poems, Couplets, Limericks, or even a Haiku or two.
7. Sponsor a Poetry Contest on your blog with a give-away for selected winners.
Want to learn more about events and opportunities for National Poetry Month?
Check out "the buzz" at Poets.org.
How about you? Does poetry "speak" to you? Do tell.
Who's your favorite poet?