"Roses are red, violets are blue."
Today officially marks National Poetry Day---a day designated to recognize, celebrate, share, and increase exposure to poetry on a national level.
Originally founded in 1994 by William Sieghart, NPD has produced web-based events, readings, classroom activities, conversations and celebrations world wide.
Organizations like the Poetry Society and the Forward Arts Foundation will sponsor activities and programs of potential interest. For more information, see it here:
As an author of several poetry volumes, I am honored to give homage to my "first" literary love, and welcome you to do so too.
Accordingly, I am sponsoring a National Poetry Day Contest. Yay!
Here are the rules.
1. Poem must be an original.
2. Poem must be based upon the theme of water.
3. Poem can be a Haiku, free verse, or rhyming.
4. Poem can not exceed 24 lines.
5. All entries must be received no later than October 10, 2013.
6. Poems may be entered as blog comments or emailed to Gemsjen@yahoo.com.
7. Winners will receive bragging rights, a beautiful badge to display on their sites, and a book of poetry or journal.
8. Winners will be announced at this site on October 11, 2013.
9. Two winners will be selected.
10. Two entries per person allowed.
I can't wait to see what you come up with!
B/T/W---For those in my readership who are teachers, why not incorporate this as a class lesson or fun Friday event? You can do Acrostic poems, or Bio Poems, or Haikus...the possibilities are endless.
NOTE: CONTEST DEADLINE X-tended til 10/17/13.