Thursday, July 21, 2011
Get More Eyes on Your Blog by Using YouTube!
I'm pleased to welcome today a guest post from Evelyn Parham of Become a Healthier You.
I started using YouTube in 2008. Back then, I was making videos for fun with no purpose. I had a large following but after a while, my passion and interests shifted. Long story short I closed that account.
I had another YouTube channel where I focused on healthy living topics. I wanted to connect with people who had an interest in what I had to share. At this time, I have around 933 subscribers and 107,612 total upload views. Not bad for someone sharing information about healthy living, vegan recipes, and hair topics.
Last year, I became interested in the YouTube Partner Program and applied for the program. I was rejected, but I have not given up on becoming a YouTube Partner. My total upload views look very good and I have recently reapplied. I’m just waiting on their decision.
I said the above to share with you that YouTube can help your blog in many ways. You are probably saying to yourself, “She has got to be kidding, I’m not interested in showing my face.”
You do not have to show your face to share information on YouTube. However, it is better to show your face a few times, to build that trust and to build your community.
Here is a comment that someone made on my Facebook page about a Raw Cheese Cake recipe that I made and the commenter is a fellow blogging friend.
“Just did a search in Google for raw cheese cake and guess who’s face is all over testing her raw cheese cake. That is so cool and yours looks great.”
I uploaded “How to Make a Raw Vegan Cheese Cake” to YouTube over a year ago and have since received 5,979 views. Not to mention I uploaded photos to my Flickr account.
Let’s not waste any more time. Using YouTube can help you gain more eyes to your blog.
1. Connect with others who really want to learn from you. Sometimes a YouTube subscriber will pop up on my blog and leave a comment showing their support. That is one of the best feelings because I know the subscriber is reading my blog.
2. Gain subscribers to your blog newsletter. One way you can do this is to hold a contest and ask your You Tube subscribers to visit your blog and subscribe to your newsletter. I did this when I first launched my blog and I got very good feed back.
3. Word of mouth about your blog travels fast. Can you imagine shopping in a store and being approached by a stranger who knows your name. The woman told me that she watches my videos on YouTube and that she reads my blog. I gave her a few cards to share with her friends. These are potential clients.
4. Good traffic source for your blog. Each time I upload a video, I make sure to hyperlink my website in the description box. I do get some traffic to my blog from You Tube. At this current time, You Tube ranks #14 for traffic referrals, but it use to rank a lot higher. I’ve been a little slack in uploading videos to You Tube.
5. Reply to comments and messages. Treat your YouTube channel like you do your blog. Whenever you receive comments on your videos, take time to reply to the comments. Even if it is a simple “thank you.” You will be amazed how much those two words mean to others.
I realize that You Tube is not for everyone, but it is a great way to get more eyes on your blog, if you are interested. You never know how helpful your videos can be until you try it.
Do you have a You Tube channel? If you do, how has it helped you get more eyes on your blog?
Evelyn Parham blogs at Become a Healthier You (http://evelynparham.com) and is the Health Editor for Biz Chick Blogs. You can also catch her on YouTube (http://youtube.com/evelynprather). She enjoys writing, reading, singing and cooking.