"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Thursday, May 19, 2011

6 Ways to Bounce Back After a Bad Blogging (or writing) Episode!


It happens to the best of us. The worst happens. For me, it was a simple task to tweak my blog and make it more appealing to give it a more competitive edge.

Two lines. I tell you, just two lines.
And what should have taken two minutes took about three hours. GEE WHIZ.
“I could’a had a V-8“!

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, but feared my neighbors would call 9-1-1 thinking I was crazed, or had been attacked.

So, for the purpose of venting and edification, allow me to elaborate.

I had a guest post appearing at a few highly-ranked sites this week, and simply wanted to make sure that if the link to my blog created a few more “new eyes” and potential fans, I would be up to par.

I kind of liken it to when visitors and family members come to your home. You know the deal: you make sure you tidy the washroom, have all the essentials, infuse the air with aromatherapy candles---that kind of stuff.

In and out was my objective.
Especially in that my to-do list was in need of getting done.
To my horror, it was like a blogging episode from hell.
Can’t say just why, but the Blogger software, or platform went all askew. The formatting was looking fiercely wrong, and no matter how much I revisited, revised, ranted, and wrestled with the thought of tossing my laptop out of the window, I was stuck. Nothing was going right. Simple changes that I had made many times before on my blogs, as well as clients’ was just not happening.

If you blog recreationally, it’s perhaps not a biggie, and depending upon your topic and tone, folks may be a bit more forgiving. But, if you blog professionally, (as I do), it can have different consequences, as both potential clients and “fans” who view your blog as a blueprint for their personal success, can come to question your ability and credibility. After all, appearance matters. And you never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Hopefully, it won’t happen to you, but if it does, here’s how to bounce back from a bad blogging (or writing) episode and still score winning results!

1. Don’t retreat, reload. I’ve mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. The more you freak out and feel frustrated, the more Murphy’s Law prevails and spoils your day. Don’t let the “forces” force you to give in! I fixed a big bowl of Captain Crunch, refocused, and started again.

2. Write a Blog post or article about it. Perhaps it will help someone to troubleshoot a similar problem and earn you cash. For example, when I had a negative experience, some months ago, with customer service provided through tech support, I wrote an article entitled, “5 Tips to better customer service” and earned fifty bucks and a published piece at WorkAwesome.com.

3. Shift gears. Instead of hiding under the covers, or escaping through your favorite soaps, make needed phone calls, answer Emails, do research, or jot down article ideas. Stay the course. After all, no output means no income.

4. Have realistic expectations. Technology has flaws! There, I’ve said it. With all its capabilities, it still has flaws, limitations, and drawbacks. Keep it in mind to move forward. Make sure to have hand-written notes for back up, as well as other means of retaining your work.

5. See the humor in it. It can be a challenge. But you’re up to it!

6. Cut yourself some slack. No matter how hard any of us try, perfection is impossible. Excellence, instead should be our daily goal!


Keep these six tips in mind to make the most of any writing day, and to earn the most for your efforts.

How do you bounce back? Is it a cup of tea? Wine? Meditation? Prayer? A break? Curious...
Image digitalart

11 comments:

  1. I think keeping a sense of humor is key. I may take a moment to voice my frustrations (aka. "Aaaargh!!!") but then it always helps to find something, ANYTHING to laugh about and then get back in there. It happens to everyone in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog post and your tips will surely be handy. I started my blog a year ago and it's been the best experience. I am learning a lot from other bloggers and their styles. I look forward to reading yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    Good point. Thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,

    Glad to hear from you, and to learn that your blogging experience has been bodacious! Much continued success. Thanks for adding to the mix here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! So sorry that happened to you! It's happened to me as well, my first reaction is to freak out of course! But then I take a deep breath and exhale. I tell myself everything is going to be ok and THEN I pour myself a glass of wine, and start over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Brown BanksMay 20, 2011 at 3:55 AM

    Yvonne,

    Bottoms up! Thanks for your thoughts and your time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try and keep a sense of humor while implementing some of these tips. Diet Coke and chocolate are helpful too...Had to laugh at your bowl of Captain Crunch. I opt for a handful of Honeycombs. :)

    I like your spin on turning lemons into lemonade!

    Have a great weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer Brown BanksMay 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM

    Thanks, Karen. Keep up the good fight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer Brown BanksMay 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM

    P.S.

    As you all may be able to tell, my battle is still ongoing, in terms of tech issues. The right-side margin of my blog is still displaying some formatting problems. :-)

    Hope 2 have it fixed shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing about what happens always make me feel better. After I write, I get another boost of go-gettem and a extra level of confidence as well the lesson learned from the experience. Then, I figure out the next route to go.

    ReplyDelete