Thursday, November 4, 2010
Getting the Most out of Guest Blogging
Perhaps you've been blogging for a while and have yet to meet your goals. Your stats are stagnant, and your comments are... well...almost non-existent.
Or it could be that you're a real blogging hit, but would simply like to increase your exposure and your influence.
Either way, guest blogging is the ticket!
But make no mistake about it. True success requires a systematic approach.
Here are a few ways to get the most bang out of your blogging efforts.
1. Have goals and a game plan. For instance, I decided some time ago that my time would be best spent if I did some blogging for free and some for pay. As a "professional writer" it made sense for me to devote at least some of my pursuits to paying gigs, and blog for free for friends or worthy causes that couldn't afford to pay. For each blogger it might be different. But the clearer you are on where you want to go, the faster you'll get there. I love blogging, but who says you can't get paid for doing what you love?
2. Be strategic in your efforts. There are literally thousands of Blogs out in the blogosphere. Of those, there are probably hundreds that accept guest posts. As a good rule of thumb, you should target those that have a good following, a PR ranking of 3 or above, or minimally those that have excellent content. As they say, "You are judged by the company you keep."
3. Always submit your best work. You never know who might be reading. I have actually gotten requests from other blog owners after reading my posts at other sites. So do your best to do your best!
4. If you're wondering which sites to target, consider those that you read regularly and admire. Chances are if you're impressed with the Blog, others are too. To be certain that a Blog accepts guest posts visit their site and see if there's a heading like "write for us" or "guest post guidelines". Read and respond accordingly. What have you got to lose?
5. Have realistic expectations. It's unlikely you'll be an overnight success, nor will you be guaranteed that the audience will engage you with a lot of feedback, nor will you make six figures in six months. Don't believe the hype. A lot depends on the Blog culture, the niche area, the reputation of the site, and the topic addressed. Don't get discouraged, get determined.
And last but not least, have fun! It's a great way to connect with great people and increase your visibility. And done right, you may even land a gig in the process!
Wouldn't that be icing on the cake? :-)
Interested in guest blogging at this site? See the guidelines listed in the right margin under "PAGES."
Another great site for endless blogging opps is http://myblogguest.com/
I'd like to know...Pen & Prosper readers, have you ever been a guest blogger at other sites? What was the experience like?
Image: graur razvan ionut