"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, October 4, 2010

3 Things Bloggers Can Learn From Dancing With the Stars!




It's Monday night.
And in typical fashion, I'm sprawled across my bed with a big bag of chips and a steamy cup of relaxing herbal tea, glued to the boob tube.

My weekly fix?
Dancing with the stars.
In fact, if you've been a fan of my Blog for longer than a minute, surely you know that I go goo-goo over the popular entertainment shows like "Dancing with the Stars" and "American Idol."

Ironically, though I'm an introvert by nature, when I was younger I fancied a life in the entertainment arena.

Anyhow...

The dancer in me digs the dance moves and the razz-ma-tazz! The teacher in me attentively takes notes for lessons to impart.
And here I share them with you for your enlightenment and entertainment.

Here's what today's Blogger can learn from this popular show.

1. Competition doesn't have to be "cut-throat". Though many bloggers won't admit it, they compete! And there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, blogging by its very nature is competitive. Whether it's deliberate or not. But just like the contestants on the show, it doesn't mean that we can't have fun, be supportive, and play fair. :-)

2. Criticism comes with the territory. Take it in stride and keep dancin'. Recently, one of my favorite performers, (Michael Bolton) felt that comments made by judge Bruno were "inappropriate and disrespectful." My take? The judge certainly could have been a little more tactful in his approach, but I don't think he really meant any real harm. :-) Take the "high road" when possible.

3. Sometimes success comes from coming out of your "comfort zone." Whether it's addressing a controversial topic for which you are passionate, venturing into new territory, or guest posting at another site. Feel the fear and move forward!

Well, that's my take on this topic. I've gotta go now--phone lines are gonna open pretty soon and I've gotta vote!

Any thoughts on this? Do share...

Image: Francesco Marino

6 comments:

  1. This headline definitely caught my attention :) I appreciated the lessons you shared for bloggers. All very true and I particularly appreciated your point about working out of your comfort zone. I have always believed that is really when we experience the most growth and development. It really is also true that we can always find lessons and pointers in the right direction, just by paying attention and looking at things around us, like Dancing with the Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sibyl,

    Thanks for "dancing" by and sharing your thoughts today. :-)

    The "comfort zone" issue is one that many folks struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are writing and blogging principles to be had everywhere, aren't there? These are great points, good to keep in mind as we move forward.
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer Brown BanksOctober 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM

    You betcha'! Thanks, Karen for your time and input.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been watching Idol for years and just this season have started watching DWTS (yowza to that Maks guy!) The latter show, in particular, is all about stepping out of one's comfort zone and being judged, i.e. criticized. That gives us some perspective as writers when we consider the person who critiqued our latest work versus the millions who critique these non-dancers attempting to dance. It's all about believing in yourself, gleaning what you can from constructive criticism and wanting it juuust a little more than the next guy. Thanks for giving me a fresh take on shows I'm already watching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Brown BanksOctober 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

    Janette,

    Hi! Max is da' bomb! :-) Of course Rick Fox, (this year's athlete) is some pretty nice eye candy too.

    I agree that progress is all about putting things in proper perspective as writers.

    We also must take into consideration who's doing the judging.

    Thanks so much for sharing here today.

    ReplyDelete