---"When you feel like quitting, remember why you started."
Welcome back, readers! It’s a pleasure to reconnect.
Be forewarned today: this post was not planned and is “pre-caffeinated.”
So bear with me here.
The intended post was slated to be the coverage of a fun, creative forum presented at a local library branch, and the correlation between good cooking and good writing. Both are “hot” subject matters dear to me.
Don’t fret though. If cooking is not your thing, I dig it. That certainly doesn’t mean that I’m suggesting you can’t be a great writer. Perish the thought.
Anyhow…
The event was a new COOKBOOK CLUB being formed and I was as excited as a kid on Christmas!
For my regular readers, I’m sure you can likely remember the series of posts
I’ve done previously on lessons from the kitchen, and can attest that I am a true “foodie”.
Fun fact: I also collect celebrity cookbooks and have more than one hundred miscellaneous books in my personal library. From Snoop Dogg, to Oprah Winfrey, to Emeril Lagasse, to Martha Stewart.
But, I digress here.
WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS…
A few weeks ago, I was browsing through a website that lists and promotes local events for my city. Everything from food markets, to writing events, to book clubs. And all things in between. It was here that I stumbled upon a mention of a cookbook club that piqued my interest. Attendees would choose a cookbook, select a recipe, make it for the rest of the group, and then bring it back the next month for tasting and feedback. How cool! I thought to myself.
When I checked my already busy schedule, I found that I did not have a standing engagement for that night or time. So, I immediately registered, as per the instructions. It was confirmed by email.
Fast forward. The night of the event, I made sure to plan my time to arrive a little early, prepare my bags, and dress cute. Just in case pictures were to be taken. Though I'm not a fan of being photoed.
Upon arrival, once I got situated, I asked the librarian to direct me to the spot we would be meeting. She informed me that I was the first one there, and that I could take a seat in the upstairs auditorium.
I’m almost always early for most events. So, I busied myself with some paperwork. No worries. I waited.
About 15 minutes later, I inquired again. I was the only one there. Hmm...
After about 30 minutes the security guard came, the bad news was delivered.
Would you believe that the event had been cancelled due to the presenter being on vacation? The manager of the library branch forgot to take it off the calendar for patrons.
What? That really frosted my cupcakes! “I could’a had a V-8!”
(Notice my food references here). :-)
I wasted two hours in travel time, gas money, etc. for this major inconvenience that could have easily been avoided. Exhausted and determined to come away from this experience with something positive, I decided to write this post.
As someone who has created content for more than a decade for this blog; someone who serves as the president and founder of an arts group for poets; someone who enjoys assisting other creatives with their many, varied projects, my “plate” and my “cup” are often full. Perhaps you can relate.
So I'm big on time management; I try to be selective.
Still, detours, delays and dumb stuff can drain me. It becomes a battle sometimes to not let little things derail me or cause me to throw in the towel. And you shouldn't either.
With this in mind, here are 5 ways to recharge your battery and stay energized in times ahead:
BUT FIRST, HERE’S WHY PERIODIC REFUELING IS IMPORTANT:
1. WRITING IS THERAPEUTIC.
It’s a win/win. Not only does writing allow you to inform and entertain others, many times it enables you to clear your head, analyze, and work through things. And did I mention it can help you to de-stress?
2. YOU CAN’T GIVE FROM AN EMPTY CUP.
I firmly believe that most writers categorically are giving, idealistic, over-thinkers. We are change agents.
Which is why it’s crucial to engage in things that give us joy, meaning, and comfort to replenish our mind, body, and soul.
5 WAYS TO RECHARGE YOUR CREATIVE BATTERY:
1. Be judicious about what you give your attention to.
In other words, surround yourself with positive people who merit your time. Don't over indulge in watching the news or trivial gossip. Be careful of negative self-talk.
2. Be mindful of your health.
When we are juggling many things, sometimes health screenings and doctor's visits can be placed on the back burner. According to Writers Digest author Jamie Raintree, "Because writers are so mind-focused, we often forget how important it is to take care of our bodies until our health brings it to our attention. Many writers struggle with chronic health issues and all too often, those health issues get in the way of our writing. To keep your most important writing tool sharp—you—making time to care for it is key."
Simply put, a healthy body performs better and can support optimal functioning.
3. Socialize.
In the day and age of the Internet, so much interacting is done behind screens. But studies show that getting out and being with friends and family can combat depression and increase your longevity.
Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "People with stronger social bonds have a 50 percent increased likelihood of survival than those who have fewer social connections."
Schedule a date with someone you care about soon.
4. Make self-care a priority.
If you don't who will? Why not enjoy a spa day? Indulge in a bubble bath. Take a nature walk. Get lost between the covers of a good book. Be good to you.
5. Strive for excellence, not perfection.
Give your best, then let it rest. Remember that growth is a process.
Keep these timely tips in mind to keep you in tip-top shape, to meet the ongoing demands of contributing to the creative community.
Thanks for reading!
Thoughts here? How do you recharge your creative battery? Curious...
Image credits:
PIXABAY.COM
Library image: Jen





One of my favorite ways to recharge is crafting. In addition to taking photos, I create digital photo books. I still scrapbook periodically. And I've started dabbling with resin projects. Creating is so fun!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is! Thanks for stopping by, Marcie.
DeleteOh no! How disappointing! I wondered how it went, and so apparently, it did not. :(
ReplyDeleteBut I'm glad you made lemonade from the lemons that popped up that that evening (yes, food reference here, cause, why not?).
And of course, your tips and insight are spot on. Always appreciate your insight and encouragement, Jen! I agree, and aim to practice it more fully in the days ahead.
As they say, "that's the way the cookie crumbles!" LOL
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear from you, Karen.