"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Staying Connected Amid These Distant Times


“Can you hear me now?”--Verizon

In a day and age where there are myriad devices/tools/ apps/ mediums for communication, ironically people seem to be less “connected” and expressive than ever before.

Funny thing. Some of us spend more time superficially engaging  with complete strangers on Facebook and social media platforms than we do with our own families, neighbors, and friends. Hello?  

Don’t just take my word for it. The signs are all around us. Look and learn.  At dinner, we rarely share stories about the makings of our day around the table as we break bread with loved ones; far too many are glued to their cell phones and electronic devices, (texting, taking selfies, and watching videos gone viral.)

And I’m willing to bet that it has been ages since you’ve actually written or received a personal hand-written letter or phoned someone just to say “hello.” Everybody’s uber “busy” these days.

THE PANDEMIC PAUSE…

The isolation mandated by the pandemic should have served as a wake-up call to us all: real human connection is vital to our mental health and overall well-being. Working in solitude from home, being distanced from family members, and the absence of in-person social activities has taken its toll.  According to Mayoclinic.org: “Surveys show a major increase in the number of U.S. adults who report symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia during the pandemic, compared with surveys before the pandemic.”

THE BACKSTORY TO TODAY’S STORY…

This topic “spoke” to me recently on the heels of a manic Monday. Exhausted, shortly before 9 p.m. I heard my phone ring. Assuming that it was probably a pesky telemarketer or bill collector, I hesitated to pick it up. 

It interrupted my plan for some much needed, long overdue TLC time. My goal was to simply “disconnect” from everything and enjoy some down time; having just hosted a few weekend parties in celebration of Valentine’s Day. Reluctantly, I answered the call.  

On the other end was a friendly and familiar voice. It was my homegirl/blogging buddy/writing colleague, Marcie. Her reason for getting in touch? She just wanted to “check up on me.”  Imagine that. 

We talked for about an hour--about everything and nothing. We laughed. We caught up. By the time we got off the phone, my spirits were lifted. Quite surprisingly, I felt rejuvenated.  Not exhausted.

And to Marcie’s credit, it wasn’t the first time. I remember that when my mom passed away, she kept in touch. “Checking on me” regularly, and making a very difficult time a little bit easier to navigate.

We all should have a “Marcie” in our circle. 

Despite the fact that she is a busy newlywed, freelance writer, skater, full-time worker, etc. she takes the time to make a difference. And trust me. Little acts of kindness can mean so much.

Her actions speak “volumes” in a world where we’re so out of touch and disconnected. 

THE MORAL OF THE STORY...

We could all learn from Marcie. And we should. Reach out and touch someone. While the option is still on the table.



Readers

Your turn.

If this post "speaks" to you, leave a comment. Thanks for your time.



Image credits: Pixabay.com


10 comments:

  1. Yes, we all need a Marcie, and we need to be a Marcie on occasion for our friends and family too! Such a blessing to have a good friend or two or three. :) You are blessed to have your sweet Marcie!

    Some weeks, months, etc. it is hard to have or make the time to reach out, but I make it a priority to send a card or write notes, text, send a small gift, or even email a brief message to loved ones near and far. Coffee/tea dates are good too, and I have a friend that I meet with every several months to chat and catch up.

    You're right, we are not guaranteed tomorrow, so we shouldn't put off connecting with others. Good advice, thank you, Jen! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Glad you agree here. Sometimes even making a blog comment allows us to connect with others and make them feel "heard" and valued for their time. And I appreciate that quality in you (amongst other things). :-) Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to make a difference. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend and I usually talk when we can. It used to be at least daily. She changed churches last fall. Now, we talk when we can. We had lunch today with another friend. But sometimes, I don't want to intrude on people and their time. I must do better about staying in touch with those whose friendships I value. Thanks for the prodding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. And thanks for dropping by and weighing in. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hey Jennifer,

    Thank you for this post - I'm honored. I always like to hear that you're doing well. People can tell you anything via text but your voice tells me if you're really okay. It was great chatting about everything and nothing and it made my heart smile knowing that you're really okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcie. In the words of Tupcac Shakur, "You are appreciated!" God bless you.

      Delete
  5. We need human connection and face to face interactions. I am worried about the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Ingmar! Well stated. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Great Gem Jen. I'm even guilty of not always commenting when I read your joy. Though I've never been much of a phone person, the real Marcie is also in my life... and we'll more often exchange notes on LinkedIn. Thus I enjoyed this read with its hashtag of 'Communicate.' Thank you and smiles across the miles... and decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles across the miles, indeed! :-) Nice to hear from you here, Sporty. Be well.

      Delete