"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, February 14, 2022

Pen and Prosper Celebrates Black History Month




                     INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF 
                     "LOVING A BLACK WOMAN" 

                         DARRYL HARVEY 

Hi, Darryl. 

Q. Thanks for joining us today. I’ve known you for quite some time, but for the benefit of my readers, can you please share a little about who you are and your professional background?

A. I was raised on the West side of Chicago to parents Willie and Juanita. While growing up, I developed a love for super-heroes, mythology and writing. I began writing poetry in high school and continued developing my craft while attending Northern Illinois University (NIU). Years after graduating from NIU, I published my first book of poetry: Loving A Black Woman, which received positive reviews from national magazines like Sister 2 Sister. 


Q. How has your B.S. degree in Journalism prepared or benefited you in your writing journey? 

A. Studying journalism has been essential with my writing journey. Closely linked with English, as a writer, you perfect your craft through learning different ways to write a story.

Q. Describe your writing process. Do you write everyday?

A. I do not write every day. I still have a 9:00 – 5:00. However, I am working towards being a full-time writer. 

Q. What inspired you to form the Chicago Black Author’s Network?

A. After publishing my first book, Loving A Black Woman, I had no knowledge of what to do next. I didn’t know how to market, how to find my audience, how to find the most economical printer or anything. I thought there ought to be someone who could mentor new authors so the Chicago Black Authors Network was born.

Q. Do you have any upcoming events for 2022 or are you on hiatus due to the pandemic?

A. Yes. I formed the Black Child Book Fair in 2019. The Black Child promotes literacy across the country in underserved communities by bringing African-American authors with positive stories and characters for our children to learn from. The event began in Chicago and despite the pandemic it is growing. This February we have a three city tour planned and a six city tour planned for the spring. 

Q. Speaking of Black authors, since this is BHM, can you recommend some of your favorite writers of color to add to our future reading list?


A. I am a fan of autobiographies, poetry, children’s and comic books. 
I recommend: 

Killing Willis – Todd Bridges
Pryor Convictions – Richard Pryor
I’m Down – Mishna Wolf
The Complete Collection of Maya Angelou
The Selected Poems of Nikki Giovanni
Meet Me in the Middle – Jennifer Brown Banks (thanks so much for the compliment, Darryl).

Comics
The Black Panther run of Ta nahesi Coates
Kingdom Come – DC
Crisis on Infinite Earths – DC

I can’t name any children’s books because too many of my friends are children’s authors and I don’t want to leave anyone out.

Q. I’m a big fan of your poetry. As a matter of fact, I recently read (for the 100th time) “Loving a Black Woman.”  It continues to impress and touch me many years later. With this being said, often men are stereotyped as being fearful of intimacy, unable to express their emotions, and protective of their “macho” image. Yet, your poetry is very honest, open, sensual and vulnerable. Where does this come from, particularly as a Black man? 


A. I was raised in a two-parent home where love and affection for your mate was shown regularly. This was the foundation of where I learned how to be myself and show care for someone else. 

Q. You seem to have your hand in so many pots, do you have a project or award that you are most proud of?

A. Currently, I am very proud of my Black Child Book Fair. It has become a resource for much needed representation of black faces in children’s literature.  It started in one city and in 2021, I took it to eight cities. I will double that this year. 

Q. What’s one tip you could give to new writers to help shorten their learning curve?

A. Read successful writers that write in the genre that you want to. Ascertain the characteristics of what success looks like so you can apply them with your touch/style. 

WRAPPING THINGS UP HERE...

Thanks for reading, Pen and Prosper fans. Comments (or questions) welcome.
Wishing you all a very Happy Valentine's Day!



BIO:














Darryl Harvey was born and raised on the West side of Chicago to parents Willie and Juanita. While growing up, Mr. Harvey developed a love for super-heroes, mythology and writing. Mr. Harvey began writing poetry in high school and continued developing his craft while attending Northern Illinois University (NIU). Years after graduating from NIU, Mr. Harvey published his first book of poetry, Loving A Black Woman, which received positive reviews from national magazines like Sister 2 Sister. 

While promoting Loving, Mr. Harvey realized that first time authors needed a peer group to assist in learning the publishing business so in 2010, he created the Chicago Black Authors Network (CBAN). CBAN has authors/members with years of experience aid newer authors as well as promote literacy. Along with the growth of CBAN, Mr. Harvey wanted more learning opportunities for would-be writers so in 2016, he created a formal book fair with writing workshops called the Books N Brunch Gala.

During this time Mr. Harvey wrote his first children's book, I Can Do Anything, which is a self-esteem builder for Kindergarten aged children. After receiving positive reviews Mr. Harvey continued writing more books for children in what he calls the Sunflower Series for Children. Realizing that African-American history and stories are not fully represented in American schools Mr. Harvey created the Black Child Book Fair in 2019 in Chicago, which was a well-attended success. Since that time, Mr. Harvey has grown the Black Child Book Fair to a national event.

Learn more here:












IMAGE CREDITS: PIXABAY.COM

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! Thanks for introducing us to Darryl, Jen. Appreciate hearing about his journey and wisdom gained along the way.

    Darryl, so nice to meet you. Thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you all the best on your road to full time writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    So glad you enjoyed. Thanks so much for letting us know. Happy Valentine's Day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent interview, Jen!
    So great to meet Darryl, and hear about his
    journalistic experience. Much success with his continued writing, and the Black Child Book Fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,

      How nice of you to stop by and weigh in here. Thanks so much for your valuable feedback. Appreciate it.

      Delete