"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, March 20, 2020

A Writer's Chat With Author David Litwack, Ph.D.



Thank you for joining us today, David. We appreciate the glimpse into your world and your expertise here at Pen and Prosper.

Can you tell readers a little about your background and how you began your career as a writer, David?


So I was raised in Kansas City, which is actually two cities. One on each side of the state line. Each abutting the Great River. One in a slave state; the other in a free state. The free state took the biggest beating in the civil war. The slave state produced Jesse James. And other outlaws. I mention this because we kids were bombarded with different prejudices and history depending on what side of the river we were on at that moment. Actually, depending on which side the teachers had come from. In short, our teachers often shared their “views” to our utter confusion. But helpful in giving us a depth of understanding in the long run. Particularly as regards race relations. I found myself straddling the same issues among tribes during my years in Africa. I guess I should write about it. Oh yeah, I have. My first try has been Land of the Sun, Land without Light.)

I went to Southwest High School which, at that time, was almost an academy. Literary societies and contests were part of the culture. My parents moved us to the neighborhood for the school. I didn’t realize that until it was too late to thank them. I won some silver writing medals and was president of the literary society, Excelsior, which had some great writers. I published a little in the college literary magazine.

I was competitive but too small, weak, and slow for ball games. So I read a lot. I remember reading War & Peace at seven. Yeah, that’s seven years old. (But not in the original Russian.) I’m not sure how much I understood. But that was what I did and what made me to want to be like Tolstoy. And London. And Hemingway. And Faulkner. And so on.

I studied them in high school and college. And I ended up with a PhD in literature from Boston University. While there, I gave famous writer John Barth a copy of my latest novel to review. His response was sadly typical. Silence.

Meanwhile, most of my other scribblings spent their time in a desk drawer. Until now. I guess that could make me a (very) late bloomer.

Why do you write?


I could say I have a cluttered memory which then requires me to write things down. My memory plays useless word games and makes up stories at odd times. I write the stories down. Sometimes. I feel trapped in their insistent sway. More so as I age.

I’ve also got a snarky answer for your question, like the one proposed by Hank Williams, Jr.in his “Why do I…? song. Or as Robin Williams suggested, “to get the girls.” A bit retro, that.

Or my wanna-be answer above.
Or I could say I really like writing. Especially writing songs.

 What would it surprise others to know about you? 


I have strong political beliefs that don’t come out in my books or stories. When presenting Land of the Sun, Land without Light in an upscale cafĂ©/bar (mostly bar), a patroness asked me if the novel had a political bias. I said “none,” meaning none that would make sense to her left-right worldview. Then again, in Land there’s the well-educated rebel seeking to recover his (former) patrimony. “Liberal,” one of the entertainers shouted when I described the rebel. Then I noted that the rebel intended to impose Sharia Law once he’d overthrown the not-so-democratically elected government. Whoops! “Conservative!” another shouted.

So I’m more interested in the dynamics of politics. Examining the results only for what they do to help—or not help—the populace. Or my characters (see Land).
Also, I spent forty years in the data communications industry. Still, I am not an early adopter of technology and its offshoots. I know too well what usually happens with “early” versions.

If you could have one literary “super power” what would it be? 



To be more glib (should I say “glibber?”) with dialogue. And more dexterous with words. (Like John Prine.) And better with character development. And funnier. (Like John Prine.) That about covers it.


What philosophy do you live by? 


I believe in doing good. And that “Justice shall thou pursue.” But I also see the complexity of obeying the commandments for example. Take the commandment “Do not kill.” We could really beat that one to death. Wink-wink. It takes six hundred thirteen rules in the Old Testament alone plus over two thousand years of commentary to set all these things straight.


Any thoughts on blogging and social media--do you feel it’s a necessity these days? 


It looks like it—like they are necessities. Meanwhile, I have a web site that needs some modernizing. I’m about five years late. Cf. davidlitwack1.com. So I’m a late adopter of all things technical. (And I’m probably too lazy to blog regularly.)

 I see you’ve written in multiple genres. What’s your favorite? 


I love historical fiction. Imagining what historical characters might do if just one act or element were different. In my upcoming sequel to Land, it seems that narrator Harry and company have stumbled across the oldest humanoid fossil ever uncovered. This was in the same place where that event actually occurred, but about 10 years earlier. That is, my characters made a hash of it and lost out on world renown. The sequel’s called L’Algerie, Mon Amour (Algeria, my love). Look for it. But maybe not in your neighborhood bookstore.

I really had fun writing The Mystery of the Big Booger. Especially the illustrations because my skills in that area are limited. So Booger begs a sequel. I could use the grandkids’ help, but their growth spurts have outrun child-level reading. Any thoughts out there? Of course, you’ll have to read Booger to get a feel for this imaginary world.

All that said, I love writing songs above all. My favorite effort is “Leaving Sara Lee.” It’s about the strength and stoicism of Sara Lee. My mother. See this and other efforts at my website. Feedback will be much appreciated.

Can you give me one marketing tip to share with readers here today? 





Plan on hiring a professional with a great history to do your marketing. Get advice from professionals like Jennifer. Upon publication, cross your fingers—or however you solicit good luck.

What passion project or “cause” excites you currently? 


Current politics. I have CNN on all day (and night). Sometimes the unexpected news gets my juices flowing.

What a waste of time, you say? You should be spending that time writing, you say? Whatever . . .


Learn more about David and his projects here:

http://www.davidlitwack1.com/


Image credits: Pixabay.com

5 comments:

  1. Another great interview. Again, it helps he is willing to give honest answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always appreciate your time and comments here, Ingmar. Honestly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a professor who sounded/thought very much like David. I learned more from his class than any other. Thanks for this interview. Inspiring to know that age is no barrier to creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving Sara Lee, a beautiful poem put to music became a song that touched my soul and made me cry. Thank you David Litwack. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lin. We value your feedback here. And I am reminded of the famous commercial quote: "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee." :-)

      Delete