"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, January 27, 2020

Today is Chocolate Cake Day...No Kidding!


Today is Chocolate Cake Day. Who knew?!
I actually came by this "morsel" of good news while surfing the Net for something else.

THE BACKGROUND STORY HERE...

Devastated by the recent reports of the untimely death of Kobe Bryant, I was trying to get the specifics of what transpired, after my mom initially broke the news via phone call on Sunday afternoon. My mom is a sports nut.

Though I wasn't a huge basketball fan, I know enough about the sport to know who Kobe was and his contributions to the game. He was legendary.  Kobe will be tremendously missed; he served as an inspiration, role model and family man. In fact, his daughter reportedly traveled with him when his helicopter crashed on Sunday.

I was really saddened and briefly cried about the senselessness of it all.
While on the computer doing research about the tragedy, somehow, I clicked on a link that gave information about January 27th being Chocolate Cake Day. This gave me a diversion and temporary boost, I'm happy to say.
Let's face it: chocolate is to most writers what spinach is to Popeye! Hello!
So for those of you wondering what the correlation is and why this type of post is here on a writing blog...there you go. :-)  "There's a method to my madness."

MORE ON CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY...

Chocolate cake is said to have surfaced around 1764. And it's been a favorite dessert for many over the evolving years. You can learn more to "feed" your curiosity here:

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/chocolate-cake-day/




HERE ARE A FEW WAYS TO CELEBRATE:
  • Ditch that "New Year's diet" for just a day.  YOLO (you only live once.)
  • Bake a chocolate cake for a neighbor, family member or friend.
  • Bring your laptop to a local bakery or Dunkin' Donuts and consider "eating on the job."
  • Write a blog post sharing your favorite chocolate cake recipe.

The moral of the story here?

Even amid political upheaval, unexpected tragedies, bad weather and dark days, we should savor life's sweetness. Tomorrow is not promised.

Thanks for reading!
   


Thoughts? Agree or disagree?



Image credits: Pixabay.com

6 comments:

  1. Your post is a humble reminder of how precious life is and how delicious chocolate cake is. From now on I will refer to it as my spinach. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lin. I hope your days ahead are filled with lots of "spinach." :-) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saddened by the news of the tragedy, and like you, reminded that our time here on earth is brief. Savoring the the time with family and friends these days, and if that includes chocolate cake, then so be it!

    Btw, I have a chocolate cake recipe from my grandmother that doesn't require eggs. It's an easy one to whip up, and is a delicious family favorite. Its original name is the "Lazy Wife Cake", but since that's not politically correct, I'm thinking, I'm considering renaming it something like "Donestic Goddess Chocolate Cake". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds delish! Can I wrestle you for it? LOL
    You should consider publishing it in the Chicken Soup anthology with an essay of your family traditions perhaps. Thanks so much for your time and comment today, dear.

    ReplyDelete