"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Monday, September 23, 2019

How Karaoke Taught Me To Be a Better Blogger!


It was a Friday night. And the joint was jumping!
My friends had been inviting me for months to join them in this night of fun, escape and expression (that they participate on a regular basis). And I finally decided to tag along.
A popular event, structured similar to a talent show: you can sing, do comedy or even recite poetry---if that's your thing.

When I arrived, the place was a bright yellow trendy cafe, filled with folks of all ages, sizes, shapes and colors.
Soul food was being served and a few tables were decorated with bottles of fine wine and champagne. The atmosphere was lively and the people were friendly.

Still unsure if this was my "scene" I figured, if nothing else, I could get some good writing material by observing the night's unfolding. Did I mention that I'm an introvert by nature?

FAST FORWARD...
After about an hour or two, (and encouragement by people at my table) I calmed my nerves and decided to jump in. I scoured the vast selections of songs in the big orange karaoke "hit list" book (ranging from the 1950's to the present). Donna Summers is always a good choice.
But, at the last minute I decided to do a song I had sung many times successfully at home in the shower, in my mirror, etc.

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION...!
 
Before I got up to perform, I admit that I had been snickering all evening at my friends who, though very "entertaining," couldn't carry a note if it were in a suitcase! Of course, all in good fun. LOL 
I was convinced that I would do much better. I was wrong. I bombed!
 
But, in my own defense here, I chose the wrong song. And plus, the pace of the song was faster than I remembered. And I forgot some of the lyrics. And I should have had a drink. And "the dog ate my homework."
Well...you get the point, right?
 
Anyhow, when the rotation of performers came around again, I didn't even sign up. I figured I would go home and retreat to a safe place of anonymity. Maybe nobody would remember me.
All in all though, it was a great time that imparted some important lessons in sharing my "performance" with the public.

Here are a few take-aways that can be applied to writing and blogging:


  • Allow yourself to be vulnerable. Don't worry about always getting things "perfect." Perefection  Perfection often leads to procrastination. Sometimes it's more about the "connection" than the impression! Belting out that tune (albeit not perfect), and getting lost in the moment felt very liberating.
  • Feel the fear and do it anyway. Try a new genre; submit to a different market; seek speaking engagements in your area. There's no growth in always playing it safe. "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you."
  • Always keep your sense of humor. Laughter is good for the spirit and is reportedly therapeutic.
  • Stay humble. Don't let your ego get in the way of your excellence. Learn from others. Learn from your mistakes. 
 
  • Remember that practice makes perfect. The more you write, read and "perform," the better you become at your craft. Better writing leads to bigger platforms and greater reach.
  • Change your "routine" for greater success. Consider a new form of scenery. Take a nature walk.  If you always sit down to write at 6:00 a.m. why not try 6:00 p.m. to see what happens?
  • Keep singing!  Even amid editors' rejections. Through feast and famine cycles and lost clients.
 
Embrace the joy. Find the fun moments.
And never lose your "voice"!
 

Thanks for reading. Have a great week ahead. 
Thoughts? Karaoke comments here?
 

 

Image credits: Pixabay.com
 



10 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I truly enjoyed this post. It is both insightful and humorous! Great takeaways...
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Deb. Good thing you weren't there to witness my disaster. Lol
      Stay tuned for my come back!

      Delete
  2. You just never know what you'll learn in a day, do you? :) Good lessons, glad you shared them with us. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man. I have been so bad at blog reading lately. So dang busy. But I love this one, Jennifer. What pictures you put in my mind. LOL I've done karaoke and it wasn't pretty. Good on you for trying it out and letting us in on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,
    What do you know...a blast from the past! Great to hear from you ,as I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy reading through on this site, it holds great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woh I enjoy your articles, saved to fav!

    ReplyDelete