"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Friday, March 1, 2019

4 Reasons Today's Writers Need Passion Projects...

AND OTHER INTERESTS



At the time of this writing, it's a Sunday. So, I've decided to make it "confession time" along with a pseudo-sermon. So read on for today's two-fer, folks.
Frustrated from frantically checking my emails all week and a lack of progress with some of my queries, creative submissions and computer glitches, I did something really stupid.

Don't judge me, just love me. :-)  I through a brief pity party.
In the process, I actually scoffed down an entire pizza by myself (insert violins here).
In my own defense though, at least it was the thin-crust version.
To remedy the situation, shortly thereafter, I put on my exercise video and attempted to burn some of those unwanted calories. Not a good idea either. Besides the shock to my system, it aggravated my left knee.

The "parable" and lesson here for today?
Don't make your WRITING LIFE your life.
Don't let it consume you with guilt, or fear, or doubt, or a sense of failure, or cause you to over eat to feel better.

Here’s a quote from a fellow writer and blogger (Dan Burns) that I read recently that really hit home for me on this topic:

These days, our world is enmeshed in technological connectivity— twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week—and many people spend the majority of their days searching and texting and updating their networks of people on every minute detail of their existence.
I think we need to be forced away from our devices every once in a while to relish the simple pleasures in life: reading a book, taking a walk, or just looking around and taking in all that is happening around us. For without the break, we might get so distracted that we’ll miss out on what is really important.”


I couldn't agree more.

ACCORDINGLY, HERE ARE 3 TOP REASONS WRITERS NEED PASSION PROJECTS AND OTHER INTERESTS:


1). Passion projects provide for a more balanced life. You know what they say about "all work and no play." 
2). Passion projects can often contribute to additional writing ideas and a broader overall knowledge base.
3). Passion projects can increase your joy potential and your bottom line!


For example, when I'm away from the keyboard and clients' projects, I love to get "creative" in the kitchen. I dig the culinary arts and it allows me to be "the hostess with the mostess" when entertaining friends and fellow artists at home. I also enjoy making themed gift baskets that I sometimes sell or donate to charitable causes.

Blogger Marcie Hill enjoys roller skating and presents workshops and events on roller skating and its history as it relates to Chicago and/or people of color.

Other than writing, what excites and inspires you? Make those passion projects a priority this year and keep me posted here.


HERE ARE A FEW PASSION PROJECTS I RECOMMEND FOR 2019, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MAY BE IN SEARCH:


  • Start a garden for spring
  • Build a book nook
  • Volunteer at a local animal shelter
  • Sign up for Karaoke at a local bar or restaurant
  • Expand your horizons through travel
  • Take up photography
  • Take a dance class to improve your health
  • Participate in writers' conferences 
  • Enter a few creative contests, earn some extra cash and get a little exposure for your efforts 
These are just a few ideas to get you started in months to come.
Remember, that no matter how much we love writing, we need other outlets and interests to keep us satisfied and sane.



Have a "passion filled" weekend.

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this two-fer. I can relate to your eating a pizza, exercising to extreme, and checking submission sites. UGH! Me too, and the snow doesn't help. But I do like to read, and don't read enough in winter, as my house is noisy with the mister and
    his TV. I love to sit outside and read.

    In winter, my passion project is frequenting the Goodwill stores in town for books and treasures. Hurry spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need passion projects to keep our sanity as well as realize there is more to life than just writing.
    My passion is attending science fiction cons and meeting authors.
    Another passion are tennis and martial arts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You sound like a well rounded, interesting dude.
      Meeting authors is something I think we all could benefit from.
      Thanks so much for sharing, Ingmar.

      Delete
  3. Ooh! Yeah, thanks for reminding me, Lin. Time for another thrift trip! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I can relate, Jen. Don't know that I've ever consumed a whole pizza, but I did polish off a rotisserie chicken once. Appreciate your candor and willingness to share.

    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Love the quote from Burns. We all need down time and passion projects, otherwise in the long run, our productivity and quality of life suffer. I enjoy reading, walking, and hanging out with my grandsons. Hitting the nearby outlet mall with a friend is also great fun. Been thinking lately about pulling out my daughter's keyboard and brushing up on my piano skills too. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    You get the piano warm and I'll polish up on my karaoke routines and let's apply for the next season of Americas Got Talent. Lol
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this passion post,

    That is exactly what we have done to relish the simple pleasures in life, when we had our #Naturewalksinwinter last winter.

    Just walking with a little group of people and doing Nature Photography during our walks. We also give digital camera tips and ideas to other Naturelovers in our group during such walks. From those photos we created Photo Collages for our Twitter page.

    This #Naturewalksinwinter is just one of the Twitter-serials we had running on our Twitter page. When you enjoy Photography and are a Nature lover, it goes without saying that you are welcome to become one of our Twitter followers.

    As a Twitter follower you also occasionally get links to specific blog posts on our Digitalcamera-ideas blog.

    On that blog you get more info about How to make great looking photos, and how you can make your photos into products you can sell online, just like our own (Photo- & Graphical) Designs from our designstudio we sell online ourselves.


    ReplyDelete