"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

10 Reasons I Still Blog in Year #10-Reflections 2019

 

In 2017-2018, I observed numerous bloggers abandon their sites to pursue other creative opportunities. In my popular series here "The Blog Break-up," I interviewed a few of these writers to discuss the determining factors behind their decision.

Some expressed frustration and disappointment with low traffic, lack of comments, and little return on their time and investment. Others simply lost interest. In all honesty here, I can relate.
Blogging takes a lot of work. It's fun, but it's also challenging, time consuming and hectic.
Factor in technical glitches, brain strain, and competing demands and it can become an uphill battle.
According to Quora.com, " 95% of blogs are abandoned."

Much like a romantic relationship, sometimes it becomes necessary to evaluate our commitment and examine what the future holds.

To paraphrase Socrates... "A (blog) life unexamined is not worth living."


Upon taking personal inventory, (of over 750 published posts on this site) this is what I discovered about my blogging career. 
Perhaps some of these positive aspects will resonate with you and help invigorate you to continue this year.

 

1. Blogging doesn't just build "platforms" it builds relationships.

Like many bloggers, my initial reason for breaking into blogging was to build a platform to support my creative aspirations. In a rejection letter I received from a prominent agent years ago, I was told: "You have obvious talent as a writer, but not a big enough platform." Ouch.  I began blogging shortly after that.
Fast forward...in the evolving years, I did garner more readers, clients and supporters. And, much to my surprise I developed important alliances and friendships. Who knew?
This continues to sustain me. I think that blogging is different than other social media platforms like FaceBook and Twitter. Blogging is more interactive and enables writers to cultivate a more intimate and solid connection with their followers. Wouldn't you agree? 
 

2. Blogging helps to hone writing skills and develop discipline.

Anything we practice repeatedly is bound to increase our proficiency and enhance us. Whether it's dancing, cooking or writing. Blogging has helped me to hone my voice, develop my ideas, and express myself with more confidence.  I don't have the "chops" to successfully complete NANOWRIMO yearly activities, but I've logged in hundreds of posts and thousands of words here, and I think that's something to feel good about too.
 

3. Blogging allows freedom of expression.

I truly dig that I can have my say within this space. Whether it's in the King's English, Ebonics or Pig Latin. My view doesn't necessarily have to be politically correct or even popular. I can be cerebral or silly. I can rant or release. I don't have to worry about the dictates of editors.
This can be truly liberating, mi amigos! 
 

4. It has helped to build my business and my bottom line.

Over the years, blogging has made a considerable difference to my freelance writing career. It has allowed me to attract clients, advertisers, collaborative partners and establish another income stream along the way.
Yay!
 

5. I get to teach and learn.

I love sharing ideas, expertise, philosophies, resources and industry-related news.
It's been a mutual exchange with my readership; creating a win/win for all.
 

6. My work has been validated and appreciated.

Let me "keep it real." The first few years of blogging were really challenging for me and I considered quitting more times than I can count. But, back in 2013 things started to turn around. Just when I thought nobody cared, I won an award!
And it felt very validating. "They like me, they really like me."
Every year since then, I have received recognition through some type of blogging award or competition. Most recently through The Write Life's "Top 100 Blogs" designation. I am truly thankful to each and every blogger/editor/organization that has recognized Pen & Prosper since 2009.
It helped this chick not to split. :-)
 

7. It keeps me connected to the literary community.

Whether it's through guest posts, comments, link exchanges, shared resources or career questions. Additionally, blogging unites people of different colors, countries, and varying views.
"Together we stand, divided we fall."
 

8. Blogging is a labor of love.

 Though it can be a burden, it's also a blessing. I love the energy of blogging. I love the interaction.
I enjoy how it can sometimes be a constructive diversion. That I can share my writing pointers, pet peeves, celebrity crushes or recipes.
 

9.  Blogging feeds my creativity in other areas.

Blogging makes me receptive and tuned in to all types of ideas and all forms of writing. I'm constantly thinking of how I can "work smarter, not harder." My blogging has contributed to the creation of information products and clients' projects. This gives me more bang for my buck.
It can for you too.
 

10. I can dictate my own terms and deadlines. 

Depending upon my personal schedule, work load, mood, health or happenings, I might publish posts a few times a week, or take a break for a few months. That's the cool thing about this blogging thing. 

An additional consideration here is that blogging has actually launched book deals and careers in related industries.
 

 To wrap things up here...

There is often debate in the literary community about whether or not blogging is dead.
(IMHO) I would contend that it's not. Although with the vast competition and different types of blogging, it has become increasingly difficult to keep readers engaged and coming back.
 
Ultimately the choice of whether or not to forge forward on your blogging journey is a personal one.
Hopefully the reasons enumerated here will help inform your decision.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
Thoughts?
Which of the above reasons resonate with you?
Do you think blogging is dead?
 
 
 
 


8 comments:

  1. Yes. To all of the above. Blogging isn't for the faint hearted. What I miss the most in this "stepping away" time from my blog are the people. These relationships are priceless, so am trying to maintain that through other means for now. Good post for us all as 2019 kicks into high gear. Thanks, Jen, as always for your insight and encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      The relationships are really valuable. Like the one with friends like you. Thanks much.

      Delete
  2. This is the nice post which I was waiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information.
    click here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I'm celebrating my tenth year of blogging this month. I've been tempted to give up in the last few years, but 1) I really do enjoy the regular practice of writing and 2) I've made great friends. As long as I have readers I plan to keep blogging happily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol Z,
    That's great. Congrats on your success and staying the course. I greatly appreciate your time and comment here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol Z,
    That's great. Congrats on your success and staying the course. I greatly appreciate your time and comment here.

    ReplyDelete