"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Blog Break-up Series With Kelly James-Enger



Greetings, readers!
Have I got a treat for you today. Joining us for this installment of the "Blog Break-up Series" is noted author, ghostwriter and blogger, Kelly James Enger (now known as Kelly K. James).
Many of you may be familiar with her from her hugely popular book, "Goodbye Byline, Hello Big Bucks." Or perhaps you followed her weekly blog at "Dollars and Deadlines" (me too).
Even if you're not an old fan, I'm betting you'll become a new one.

Please extend a warm welcome to Kelly in the comments section at the conclusion of today's post.
We look forward to your feedback and questions.
Now, for your edification and enjoyment...


THE BLOG BREAK-UP SERIES

(PART 2)



Have you ever thought of giving your blog "the boot"?

Does your "relationship" with your readers sometimes leave you a little uncertain? Feeling overwhelmed and undervalued?
Have you "lost that lovin' feelin'?"

It happens to the best of us. Some days it's a blessing; other times it's a burden.
This blogging thing can cause more internal conflict than the characters we read about in romance novels. And there's no disputing it's a "labor of love" that we devote endless hours of time, energy and attention. Which sometimes causes us to question whether it's worth all the sweat equity.
It's also the reason why countless bloggers have decided to "divorce" their blogs for other more profitable pursuits.
Perhaps you're one of them.

Disenchantment doesn't necessarily have to signal doom. It all depends on how you handle it. Whether you've been considering a blog break or a complete break-up, other writers will share their experiences here to give you greater perspective, clarity and wisdom.

FEATURED BLOGGER

 


KELLY JAMES-ENGER (KELLY K. JAMES)


LAST BLOG POST JUNE, 2017
DOLLARS & DEADLINES

http://dollarsanddeadlines.blogspot.com/


 WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO STOP BLOGGING OR TAKE AN EXTENDED BREAK?

A couple of reasons. First and foremost, I was changing the nature of my “platform.” I wanted to transition from being a freelancing expert to a ghostwriter of health/wellness/fitness books and I felt like my blog wasn’t helping me do that. Second, feeding the beast (i.e., blogging at least once a week) was feeling more and more like something I dreaded having to do, instead of something I get to do…and I was burned out on doing so.

 HOW HAS THIS DECISION IMPACTED YOUR TIME OR CREATIVE CAREER?

It’s been good for me overall. First, my ghosting business has taken off and I’m busier than I ever have been (which is good). I haven’t missed blogging—although I do miss connecting with readers in that way—and it’s a relief to not have to think about getting a post up every Monday.
But I do have some sense of that engagement on Facebook (though with a slightly different group of followers/readers).
I have had more time to put into writing what I want to do (I sold three essays last year, after years of not writing any), which is also gratifying.

DID YOUR BLOG FORMERLY GENERATE A REGULAR MONTHLY INCOME?

A very small one, based on click-through ads and book sales.

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT W.I.P. (WORK IN PROGRESS)?

I just finished a book for a ghostwriting client and edits on another…I have a couple of book proposals in the works and eight articles for regular clients. I’m busy, which is good. :)

DO YOU FEEL BLOGGING IS STILL RELEVANT TODAY?

Yes, but I think it’s harder to maintain an engaged audience.

WHAT IS THE MAIN REASON YOU FEEL THAT MANY SUCCESSFUL BLOGGERS OPT TO ABANDON THEIR BLOGS AFTER ALL THE SWEAT EQUITY INVOLVED?

Burnout…and lack of visible returns. I did make a small amount of money from my blog and enjoyed connecting with readers, but on balance it wasn’t a great use of my time. That was my experience, anyway.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE CAN YOU OFFER TO HELP OTHERS WHO ARE UNCERTAIN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT TO CONTINUE ON THEIR BLOGGING JOURNEY?

I’m a big fan of making pros and cons lists and weighing your individual advantages/disadvantages. That helped me make the decision to let the blog go idle.

Thanks, Kelly. It's been a pleasure connecting with you and getting your valuable perspective on blogging in 2018.

BIO

Kelly K. James (formerly Kelly James-Enger) is a long-time freelancer, ghostwriter, and author. She’s the author of books including Six-Figure Freelancing and Goodbye, Byline, Hello Big Bucks. She specializes in health, wellness, fitness, and nutrition subjects and lives outside Chicago with her family.    

www.becomebodywise.com.

 
 
Your thoughts, readers?
 
 
Image credit hands: Pixabay.com

12 comments:

  1. I haven't totally given up my blog, but I have cut back to once a month--at least for the rest of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking Kelly to visit us via your blog, Jennifer. A timely topic for me as I've just taken the month of August off from my own blog. I do feel they're waning in interest for my few readers. There is just so much more out there to compete with the blogs these days. I'm debating whether to continue. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      My vote is a yes for you to continue, as I am one of your regular readers. But I wish you the best in whatever path you choose to pursue. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Kelly for affirming many of things I feel. Blogging requires commitment, but also needs consistent followers. I certainly appreciate all the tips you provided in this post and also on your other site. Maybe it's time to branch out. You have provided food for thought. Best on your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin,
      Thanks for your input. I certainly enjoyed learning more about Kelly and her views on blogging in 2018.

      Delete
  4. A special thanks here to Kelly for taking the time to share her thoughts and expertise here. I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging does require time and commitment. So far I'm having fun. It is always interesting listening to others to see why they stopped and how they have changed. I have a feeling someday I'll get there too. But until than I'll keep churning it out.

    Thank you, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bryan,
    Glad you're still having fun. That's what it's all about. True? Thanks a bunch for weighing in today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I can relate to the whole burnout thing. Appreciate your insight. Glad you're doing so well!

    Jen, thanks for hosting Kelly. Great series. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you enjoyed it, Karen.
    Always love to hear from you.
    Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Note to readers,
    If you would like to be profiled for an upcoming edition of the Blog Break Up Series, please leave a comment here, or email me at the email address provided on this site. I look forward to sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete