"Required reading" for today's smart writer.

"Required reading" for today's smart writer.
Information & inspiration to hone your craft and increase your cash...Since 2009

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Should You Have Multiple Blogs?


There's no doubt about it: blogging is indeed hard work.
(Can I get an Amen?!)
In fact, ask anybody who's been at this blogging thing for more than a few months, (and posting consistently), and they'll attest that it's harder than it looks, and definitely more time consuming than imagined.

Which is why some opt to stop at one!
Am I right here?

Still, if you're like most of us creative creatures, you probably have a myriad of interests, tastes, and talents that you've considered sharing with other audiences.

Like your love of the musical group "Maroon 5", (me too), your stamp collection fix, fitness tips, or your mouth-watering recipes.

Some address this reality by mixing a multitude of topics on their blog to cover more bases.
But here's where things get tricky, folks.
'Cause it doesn't work well for everybody.
I can't count the people on one hand that it does. Trust me.

Popular blogger Hektor Karl recently asked at his blog whether he should combine his love of dogs with his current writing blog, actually.

My vote? It would be a doggone shame for those of us who read his and other well written, singularly focused blogs to have it somewhat "diluted" with other stuff of which we have little to no interest. :-)

So, here are my top three reasons why some bloggers should have multiple blogs:

1. We're equally passionate about several topics or hobbies, and feel that we have enough to share on an ongoing basis to make a successful go of it.

2. It allows bloggers to expand readership.
Many times, if "followers" and fans enjoy your style of blogging and your personality, they will follow your other blogs, not to mention, you'll likely make new friends, that may not have formerly known you, but discovered you through your new niche area.

3. You don't bore or compromise your current readership.
Of course everybody's different here, but most folks like to know what to expect when they visit a blog on the regular. In other words, I don't want to go to a cooking blog and find stuff about President Obama. Or go to a blog about hair care and read posts on maintaining a car. Unless the topics are tied in somehow.
Are you feeling me here?

Here's a case in point. Super-star blogger, Darren Rowse, (creator of PROBLOGGER), for years has reigned supreme in terms of providing tools and tips for today's blogger. That's all you'll find on that blog.

Because he wanted to address different themes, he now runs FEELGOODER.COM, a site that discusses relationships, health, time management tips, etc.

And it's wonderful. And yours may be too. So make the decision and make a move!

Tell me what your thoughts are here. Multiple blogs or no? Have you ever tried?

Image Andrea Brill

24 comments:

  1. I just started a second blog. More work! But, so far, I think it's working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM

    Mama Zen,

    Welcome! This is good to hear, and encouragement for those still sitting on the fence. :-)

    Thanks for your time and thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to give "props" to anyone who can manage one blog well. God love those who can handle more.

    You've made excellent suggestions about staying on-point with blogs. I've been co-mingling my writing work with my artistic endeavors on a blog I created to focus on art. Yikes! Thanks for the insight.

    Love the artwork used with this post!
    When did you change the background? The clean, bright look works well.

    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have two-- one for personal musings and family life and times and one that is focused on home decor, style, and design. It's actually helpful to compartmentalize a bit. But sometimes I have pick which one I can write due to time constraints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM

    Andrea, hey there,

    Thanks for adding to the mix today. Glad you were able to glean some useful advice.

    As for the artwork? I can thank a lovely artist formerly known as N.H. :-)

    I actually changed the background while watching Saturday Night Live last night...restless amidst the heat here.

    I'm experimenting with different looks, styles and colors. My Blog is "a work in progress" it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one blog. I used to keep an online diary as well but I found it got to be too much. Besides, on the online diary, I had to remain anonymous. My thought is to do what I can and do it well. I recently began doing a weekly column online. That takes some planning and time. I also am preparing to take an online class. It looks like all I can handle it one blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM

    Heidiopia,

    Welcome back! You've definitely got the right idea with your blogs--one for personal and the other for decor.

    B/T/W/ I love the one on decor. And thanks for the recommendation for "Chocovine".

    I'm trying to score a bottle for upcoming parties--quick, fast, and in a hurry! :-)

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM

    Quietspirit,

    I totally agree---do "what you can and do it well."

    Sounds like you have your hands full these days. :-) Congrats on the column and much continued success. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

    Mama Zen,

    I take it that your poetry is your second blog? If it is, it was a wise decision.

    I just checked it out. Girl, your poetry is off the chain! Word! :-)

    I loved the one about the peach. Very good. Very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've thought about doing another blog but I can't justify the time and promotion it would involve right now. Some days it's all I can do to keep my head above water with one blog and the other tasks calling my name. :)

    I agree with your points, though, two or more may be better for some depending on their projects and passions.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

    Hi Karen,

    I hear ya'! I have another one, but it serves more like a website for my crafting projects.

    Besides, I blog for clients and that keeps me pretty busy as well. Thanks for your input, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have more than one if you have different interests because you will have different audiences. And like you said, if no one is interested in the other stuff, they may or may not read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marcie,

    Thanks for stopping by and giving your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just have one blog and it takes a lot of work to keep the content fresh and current. I like your top 3 reasons. Great post Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

    Hi Cynthia,

    Indeed it does... :-) Thanks for your feedback here. Next time you do a music post, be sure to include "Maroon 5". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My ADHD prevents me from having more than one blog! I would pull my hair out! lol But I do like and agree with your reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM

    Hi Yvonne,

    How have you been? Good to hear from you, girl. Even if you don't start a 2nd Blog, I see you're doing well with the 1st one--every time I visit, you have more and more followers. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jennifer! I'm trying! Thanks for your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been blogging for 3 years and have not seen much success. Instead of abandoning it I trudge on. I don't know if its just I'm not being found or my readership is too uncommon or uninteresting(info, resources and inspiration for survivors of Domestic Violence.)
    I do other stuff too- write songs, short stories and other non fiction, so my blog feels like a chain at times. I pen, but I don't prosper...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 10, 2011 at 4:06 AM

    Purplesong,

    Welcome, welcome! Actually, I've been to your site a time or two since you originally "followed" this Blog. I think your site is lovely and your work is admirable. Keep up the good fight!

    Pardon the pun.
    Thanks for chiming in today. Don't be a stranger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Jennifer:

    Your points are kicking my behind today because they hit home, in a good way!

    Although my blog started out as a casual creative outlet, I'm now passionate about it and posting on a regular schedule. The more I post, the harder it is to tie in my themes. So I can appreciate your statement about preferring blogs with a singular focus. This is something that has been gnawing at me.

    I'll get to where I need to be, slowly but surely. Gentle nudges like those in your post help!

    And you know how I feel about FeelGooder. Love, love.

    P.S. I lived up to your double dog dare today. It wasn't easy. Hop on over for a moment and let me know what you think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Janette!

    Thanks for hanging out with us today. :-) You'll surely "get where you need to be", and always know that you can count on me for help if you need it, girl. :-)
    Now, I'm off 2 your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your post,

    Currently I actually have several blogs, and it can make it hard to post on all of them all the time, the positive side of it is that on some of my blogs my posts become more Exclusive :)

    All the Best,
    To your Happy - Writing - Inspiration,
    HP

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jennifer Brown BanksAugust 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM

    Hi HP VAN DUUREN,

    Good point. Good plan! Good to hear from you. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete