Tuesday, May 11, 2010
How to Choose a Blog Topic
Choosing a blog topic can be likened to making a career choice, in that it all depends on your short and long term goals, your lifestyle, your strengths and weaknesses, and how much money you would like to make. If perhaps you have no desire to earn pay for your say, we’ll compare it to volunteer work.
My blog, devoted to writing, blogging and all things creative was a natural evolution of my many years of professional writing and my communications background.
It started out as a way to increase my “potential fan base” to have a proverbial leg to stand on when approaching agents for representation in trying to publish a book.
The more hours I logged in at the computer, and the more my range of influence increased, the more I grew to love it! I now have several blogs—some professional and even one for a hobby.
Everybody has different goals and circumstances to consider.
Here are a few things to address in starting out:
1. What’s your goal for blogging? To connect with cool people? To promote a cause? Sell a product? These are governing questions to guide your decisions.
2. Who will be your target audience? Family members? Church folks? Writers? Moms? Consumers? What’s important to this group? This will help you to choose relevant topics.
3. What’s your style of communication? Are you funny like the late Erma Bombeck? Sarcastic like Andy Rooney? Or instructive and nurturing like Ann Landers? Your answer will determine your tone.
4. What are you passionate about? What are your strengths? If yours is a professional blog, what gives you credibility with your readers?
5. What are you striving to achieve? To educate? To entertain? To persuade?
This will ultimately determine your approach and your game plan.
Though blogging is not a "perfect science" these are a few important key questions to serve as a compass to help decide your direction.
Your turn. How did you choose the topic for your blog? What is your main purpose for entering the blogging arena? Do tell.